Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Tom Clements, Colorado Department Of Corrections Head, Killed In Monument Home

Tom Clements, the head of the Colorado Department of Corrections, was shot and killed inside his home Tuesday night near Colorado Springs...“The initial information was the doorbell had rung and when Mr. Clements answered the door he was shot,” (El Paso County Sheriff’s Department spokesman Lt. Jeff) Kramer told NBC News...
    <http://www.ibtimes.com/tom-clements-colorado-department-corrections-head-killed-monument-home-video-1139013>

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    ...Mr. Clements answered the door he was shot...
    For two weeks I've kept an eye on the local papers' crime blogs and am compiling a database of incidents - what crimes happen to who and when and where they happen. Still to early to call any major trends, but so far a majority of the murders take place in the victims' homes; many of those take place at the front door. Three separate murders of innocent elderly people have taken place at their front doors during this time period; multiple other homicides of younger (I assume) dealer types take place there as well.

I am, frankly, surprised that this is the case. I have been thinking of my home as a "safe zone" and have been mildly suspicious but relaxed when the doorbell rings - no more.

We are diminished
    Perhaps it's just my general antisocial personality, but I don't answer the door when the doorbell rings unless I'm expecting someone in particular around that particular time. Heck, I don't even get off the couch to see who it is.

My doorbell is actually an intercom which I just got hooked up to my landline phone system, which is kind of nice and should solve that particular problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post

How about a leopard?

When I was in leopard country, I worried about leopards! Nowadays, not so much.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

DELETED...saw Todd's "words" post.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    When I was in leopard country, I worried about leopards! Nowadays, not so much.
    Now it's just the cougars you have to look out for, is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    For two weeks I've kept an eye on the local papers' crime blogs and am compiling a database of incidents - what crimes happen to who and when and where they happen. Still to early to call any major trends, but so far a majority of the murders take place in the victims' homes; many of those take place at the front door. Three separate murders of innocent elderly people have taken place at their front doors during this time period; multiple other homicides of younger (I assume) dealer types take place there as well.

I am, frankly, surprised that this is the case. I have been thinking of my home as a "safe zone" and have been mildly suspicious but relaxed when the doorbell rings - no more.
    I'm doing this off the top of my head, but IIRC research by both Claude Werner and Ed Lovette, looking at different sources, both came to the conclusion that the single most common location for a gunfight was the victim's home.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Now it's just the cougars you have to look out for, is that it?
    I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I'm doing this off the top of my head, but IIRC research by both Claude Werner and Ed Lovette, looking at different sources, both came to the conclusion that the single most common location for a gunfight was the victim's home.
    I wonder why the Rangemaster student data pool show the total opposite? (If I am characterizing it correctly, which I believe I am.)

User Tag List