Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Quote Originally Posted by ares338 View Post
    Am I weird? I carry my pistol to the restroom....at home...LOL. On a more serious note...I am disabled and we had a home invasion not 5 minutes from my home. I like to think I'm just cautious.
    No because that means I would be weird too. Pistol goes on the sink if I am there for any duration.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ares338 View Post
    Am I weird? I carry my pistol to the restroom....at home...LOL.
    Well, I look at it this way: The pistol's already on my belt; should I leave it outside of the restroom?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Slippery slope, making observations like that...
    I don't think so. Nobody is actually advocating that, it is presented as an element of the "we all compromise" concept. And I think you present that well with the last sentence: "But you have to live, also. Everything is a compromise. Do what you think is right, and hope for the best." That is what we all do. We make choices based on our own lifestyle, our own comfort zone, our own compromise point, and really about all we can do is hope that we have compromised at a winning point. Frankly, if I felt the slightest need to carry a full-size gun around the house with a spare mag, or had the slightest concern that a large band of dedicated home invaders would come visit me, I'd move. Either that or start rigging foo-gas bombs all over the house!
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Frankly, if I felt the slightest need to carry a full-size gun around the house with a spare mag, or had the slightest concern that a large band of dedicated home invaders would come visit me, I'd move.
    You are making a dangerous assumption there, I believe.

I have experienced situations in my life that have taught me one very important lesson - and that is that my level of "concern" about an event happening, does not directly correlate to the likelihood of that occurrence. Some of the most dangerous situations that I have been in, were completely unavoidable, unforeseeable, and unpreventable (from my perspective at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    You are making a dangerous assumption there, I believe.

I have experienced situations in my life that have taught me one very important lesson - and that is that my level of "concern" about an event happening, does not directly correlate to the likelihood of that occurrence. Some of the most dangerous situations that I have been in, were completely unavoidable, unforeseeable, and unpreventable (from my perspective at least).
    IF it is unavoidable, unforeseeable, and unpreventable that is a different issue than feeling a need to do something to adress the problem. If one is feeling the need to address the problem then pretty much be definition one has decided it is not unavoidable, unforeseeable, and/or unpreventable. We cannot live (or should not live) locked in an armored box with no access to the outside. We cannot have perfect security. But just as I do not feel the slightest need to worry about being attacked by a man-eating tiger when checking the mailbox, I likewise do not feel the need to worry about other such equally low-probability events. I don't feel that is a dangerous assumption, I consider it a realistic threat assessment.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

IF it is unavoidable, unforeseeable, and unpreventable that is a different issue than feeling a need to do something to adress the problem. If one is feeling the need to address the problem then pretty much be definition one has decided it is not unavoidable, unforeseeable, and/or unpreventable. We cannot live (or should not live) locked in an armored box with no access to the outside. We cannot have perfect security. But just as I do not feel the slightest need to worry about being attacked by a man-eating tiger when checking the mailbox, I likewise do not feel the need to worry about other such equally low-probability events. I don't feel that is a dangerous assumption, I consider it a realistic threat assessment.
    Well written. Perhaps you are correct. Thanks for the reality check.

I don't live in a armored box, but I do try to take reasonable precautions. Sometimes those precautions take the form of carrying a handgun, sometimes carrying a rifle, and sometimes I don't carry anything at all. What I do try to do however, is to make a conscious decision though, and not make that decision by my laziness or indecision.... (I guess that is what I should have said the first time around...)

I agree that this is well-written.

If you stay locked in a vault surrounded by guns and NV cameras you can probably achieve perfect security. It also makes you an inmate in a prison of your own making, and also clinically paranoid.

"I am never in Condition White." - Internet Gun Person

The most elite SF guys in the world get killed. It's neither for lack of training, nor good gear, nor armor, nor combat mindset.

Life is fraught with risk.

I do not feel the slightest need to worry about being attacked by a man-eating tiger when checking the mailbox

How about a leopard?

Can't do vs. Can do

I'm thankful that some people do not allow the randomness of "low probability events" to excuse helplessness, carelessness, dependence, and apathy.
    I'm thankful that some people are still prepared to be a Sheepdog.

Marine with concealed carry permit stops man from beating woman
    Posted on: 8:19 pm, March 12, 2013, by Henry Rosoff, updated on: 12:26pm, March 13, 2013

<http://fox6now.com/2013/03/12/marine-with-concealed-carry-permit-stops-man-from-beating-woman/>

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    I'm thankful that some people are still prepared to be a Sheepdog.
    For the record, I hate the term "sheepdog" with a **censored** passion...

User Tag List