Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    If having a supply of ammo (or gun or caliber, etc.) that is ultimately proven unnecessary increases a person's confidence in the capability of themselves + their equipment, allowing them to act with the necessary timely aggressiveness to try overcoming difficult odds, because they have put doubts about themselves and their equipment to bed, then I think that is a far cry from 'no upside.'
    If one's confidence is based not on skill and abilities but by how much excess stuff you can carry around, I would suggest that is a not an upside. I will have the same confidence and act with the same necessary aggressiveness if I am armed with a mini-gun or a snub revolver. My tactics might change quite a bit, but that is about it. Personally I would think carrying around oh, maybe 5,000 rounds would get to be a bit tiring and maybe even slow a person down, so maybe there is a downside?? Again, we all compromise on what we carry based on what we think we will need.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    If one's confidence is based not on skill and abilities but by how much excess stuff you can carry around, I would suggest that is a not an upside.
    You might consider re-reading what I wrote.

Planning for the minimum that might be necessary just never suited my Boy Scout heart.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I have confidence in my 442, 1 round is 20% of capacity. I also have confidence in my P30, 1 round is 7% of capacity. The whole my compromise is better than your compromise is a tired and silly argument. If my loved ones or myself are faced with danger that can only be stopped by my actions, I will take my compromise of a P30 any day. Because you see, I give up nothing by carrying the P30 and a reload. My life is not negatively affected by that "compromise". If I am alone, my options are greater, if I have the family in tow my responses are more narrow. Bad people around here travel in pairs or packs and the "compromise" of 5 shots could affect my desired continuation of life. See the difference? If it works for you then great, rock on. We all have our individual threshold of compromise. Now can we talk about the importance of a fast draw or need for a spare mag?? (Since we have not done that here already). Now where is that sarcasm font??
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    You might consider re-reading what I wrote.
    OK, re-read it a couple of times, don't see anything different. If I have misunderstood your point, my apologies.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-14-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Bad people around here travel in pairs or packs and the "compromise" of 5 shots could affect my desired continuation of life. See the difference?
    Exactly. Your compromise works for you. For someone else, your compomise of a P30 and only one reload could affect your desired continuation of life.
    The whole my compromise is better than your compromise is a tired and silly argument.
    Yep. Don't understand why some have such a hard time understanding that.

We all make compromises to our safety on a daily basis based upon the perceived threat level, going to Walmart without body armor is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    We all make compromises to our safety on a daily basis based upon the perceived threat level, going to Walmart without body armor is one of them.
    Yep, good point. I doubt many folks sit around the house wearing body armor either, although that would probably have a more likely impact on survival than a few extra rounds of ammo.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Yep, good point. I doubt many folks sit around the house wearing body armor either, although that would probably have a more likely impact on survival than a few extra rounds of ammo.
    Slippery slope, making observations like that...

Before you know it, you end up thinking "statistically, if I started jogging 5km, 3 times a week...I could stop training, sell all my guns, and still increase my projected lifespan".

Living in Canada as I do, the only places I can legally carry are 1) at home, and 2) at the range. Open carry is actually legal (with a permit) in this province under certain conditions but is geared exclusively towards people working in remote areas...ordinarily the places I feel least at risk, but that's another story.

I carry at home if I feel like it. But I am also on roughly my 13,000th consecutive day without encountering a problem in my home that could be solved with a gun at all, let alone a problem that required a gun in such short order that I couldn't pick it up off my coffee table.

I'm not down on anyone's decision to carry, when or what (assuming Taurus is not involved). But if I stressed out about my own situation, I'd be forced to either a) break the law constantly, or b) emigrate.

When to carry: when you believe it is warranted

What to carry: what you believe might be necessary

You could always carry more, go further, reduce exposure, act more carefully.

But you have to live, also. Everything is a compromise. Do what you think is right, and hope for the best.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Am I weird? I carry my pistol to the restroom....at home...LOL. On a more serious note...I am disabled and we had a home invasion not 5 minutes from my home. I like to think I'm just cautious.

User Tag List