Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: When to Carry

Honest to god I vote to censor that god forsaken word from this forum and the internet if possible.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    For the record, I hate the term "sheepdog" with a **censored** passion...
    Almost as bad as the term "operator".
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter
    I aspire to be half the operator my sheepdog thinks I am.

No, it's worse than the term "operator" in my opinion, because it gives this aura of supremacy upon the head of the user, and generates this sort of "caste system" mentality. Law Enforcement > Sheepdogs > Peasants.

To hell with that.

Due to my work and lifestyle, I am required to carry a firearm at times. When I don't *need* to carry a firearm, I may or may not carry one, depending on how I feel that day, and if I want the hassle of carrying a **censored** gun.

I don't carry a gun out of social responsibility, and all that happy **censored**. I carry a weapon when I need to, to protect my life and limb from bodily harm, and for whatever other purpose is practical at that given time.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    You know what's REALLY paranoid?

Living a life where every trip outside the front door involves whipping out the actuarial tables to determine the risk of where you are going and what "EDC LOADOUT" you should carry.

How much more blithe to wake up in the morning and stick the same pistol in the same holster that you do every day, with no more ceremony or worry than you invest in putting your wallet in your pocket... and then STOP TOUCHING IT?

Seriously, people, it's just a gun. No need to get all freaked out over it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    No, it's worse than the term "operator" in my opinion, because it gives this aura of supremacy upon the head of the user, and generates this sort of "caste system" mentality. Law Enforcement > Sheepdogs > Peasants.

To hell with that.

Due to my work and lifestyle, I am required to carry a firearm at times. When I don't *need* to carry a firearm, I may or may not carry one, depending on how I feel that day, and if I want the hassle of carrying a **censored** gun.

I don't carry a gun out of social responsibility, and all that happy **censored**. I carry a weapon when I need to, to protect my life and limb from bodily harm, and for whatever other purpose is practical at that given time.
    So, ah, you're better/smarter/wiser than those people that carry a gun out of social responsibility...? Or maybe I'm just imagining your condescending tone?

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy the sheepdog thing, either. But it doesn't make me angry or fill me with the need to say **censored** things. Not picking a fight, just pointing out what strikes me as a self-inconsistency in the last few posts here: you condescend to those who condescend to sheep. What am I missing?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    You know what's REALLY paranoid?

Living a life where every trip outside the front door involves whipping out the actuarial tables to determine the risk of where you are going and what "EDC LOADOUT" you should carry.

How much more blithe to wake up in the morning and stick the same pistol in the same holster that you do every day, with no more ceremony or worry than you invest in putting your wallet in your pocket... and then STOP TOUCHING IT?

Seriously, people, it's just a gun. No need to get all freaked out over it.
    /thread

Although sometimes I wear a different holster. You know, like my safari rig if I'm going through tiger-infested neighborhoods...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    So, ah, you're better/smarter/wiser than those people that carry a gun out of social responsibility...? Or maybe I'm just imagining your condescending tone?

Don't get me wrong, I don't buy the sheepdog thing, either. But it doesn't make me angry or fill me with the need to say **censored** things. Not picking a fight, just pointing out what strikes me as a self-inconsistency in the last few posts here: you condescend to those who condescend to sheep. What am I missing?

Point well taken.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 03-19-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post

How about a leopard?

Brilliant! I don't wanna be a sheepdog. I wanna be a LEOPARD!

[could it be this Forester?]
    Last edited by JHC; 03-19-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I hate the term sheepdog too.

Leopard > Sheepdog.

User Tag List