Thread: Petitioning the liberals in Congress about gun control

Petitioning the liberals in Congress about gun control

Sadly, my Congresscritter is Kyrsten Sinema, a far-left neo-communist nutjob. She makes Michael Moore look like Penn Jillette. So when I was writing all my reps/senators/etc to voice my displeasure with the rash of anti-gun bills being pushed after Newtown, I initially wrote her off as a lost cause. But then I started thinking... could I use her own beliefs against her? The odds are it won't work, but it certainly can't hurt. And so, I give you my letter, using Sinema's most cherished beliefs to justify defense of the 2nd Amendment. Feel free to use it with any of your ultra-lib Commie-- er, Congresscritters.

Congresswoman Sinema,

You have long been a champion of the rights of women, minorities and the LGBT community, and for that I applaud you. I am writing to you today to ask you to help in defending our 2nd Amendment rights as well. Please oppose any and all restrictions, including so-called 'universal background checks' that are little more than an excuse to implement registration; banning so-called 'assault weapons' just because they scare the ignorant; magazine capacity limits that would do nothing to stop a mass murderer from gunning down helpless victims, but put the lawfully-carrying citizen at a disadvantage against better-armed criminals who won't follow the law; or any taxes or insurance requirements that are nothing more than an attempt to make owning and using guns too expensive for the majority of the population.

The most vulnerable in our society are the ones who benefit the most from our 2nd Amendment freedoms. Gun control in this country started as a way to ensure that African Americans would remain under the thumb of corrupt and oppressive local and state governments, and to disarm minorities in large cities. Guns are the ultimate equalizer, without which the few are subject to the whims of the mob. An armed person at least has a chance to defend himself or herself against bigots, racists, homophobes, or the latest incarnation of Bull Connor.

Thank you, Congresswoman.
    -LHS

I don't know whether that will get you anywhere, but I think it's a good idea. I often do the same thing when writing my reps.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    You can do no worse than I have with my Boxer, Feinstein, and Speier

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    You can do no worse than I have with my Boxer, Feinstein, and Speier
    I've got Sinema, Flake and McCain. A communist, a wobbler and a RINO. So yeah, you've got it worse, but I expected to have it better in AZ than in CA :P

Speaking of McCain, I got this reply from him:

Dear Mr. LHS,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and its impact on federal gun legislation. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, a mentally unstable gunman committed a senseless atrocity by murdering twenty students and six staff members at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut. While many Americans continue to try to rationalize this tragedy it remains clear that the inhumane and depraved actions of this individual gunman appear to be motivated solely by his extremely disturbed mental state.

On January 16, 2013, President Obama and his administration introduced a twenty-three point plan which lays out both executive and legislative proposals that would attempt to prevent future violence. As the details of the President’s proposals become more clear, I look forward to reviewing them, and working with my colleagues to find sensible solutions that respect the Second Amendment but also help us prevent these type of horrific events from ever happening again.

While I am an unwavering supporter of the Second Amendment, please know that I will seriously consider all reasonable public safety legislation that comes before the Senate.
    Thank you once again for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to do so on this or any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,
    John McCain
    United States Senator
    Seriously, why can't McCain retire and live off his wife's beer money up in Sedona so we can get a decent senator again?

February 28

Dear Mr. Pennzoil:

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun control. I appreciate your concerns regarding this matter.

Congress, like the American people, continues to be divided on the issue of controlling firearms as a means of addressing the appalling level of violence which besets our nation. I do not believe, however, that the answers to these problems lie with gun control. We cannot resort to abridging law-abiding citizens' Constitutional rights in order to solve the tough problems that face our nation.

Criminals, by definition, have a patent disregard for the law. It would be dangerously naive to assume that they would abide by gun restrictions. Washington, DC, is an excellent case-in-point. The District has among the strictest gun control laws in the nation, and yet also holds one of the highest violent crime rates.

I will continue working to stop violent crime and those individuals who have or would abuse their Second Amendment rights. While addressing these important concerns, rest assured that I will ensure that the rights of honest, law abiding citizens are not abridged.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to do so regarding this or any other matter of concern.
    Sincerely,
    John McCain
    United States Senator

My wife and I got the same letter you did on the 12th and the second time around this is what we got. Hoping he retires soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    My wife and I got the same letter you did on the 12th and the second time around this is what we got. Hoping he retires soon...
    Yep, my letter was dated 13 Feb. I sent him another email today, we'll see what he (or rather, his staff) says.

User Tag List