Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shooting glasses & ear muffs

shooting glasses & ear muffs

For those of you that wear muffs, what shooting glasses are you using?

I'm having an issue with the muffs pressing against the temple bar/ear piece to the point that by the end of the patch it is getting fairly painful.

I have been looking at the Rudy Project offerings but don't want to overlook anything.

I am currently using Oakley Radars but if I had to start over today I would look into Rudy's.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

These look promising but haven't tried them myself:
    http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_detail.html

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I've used the low profile 3M or MSA safety glasses from Home Depot. At 5 bucks a set they're practically disposable, and the ear pieces are some of the thinnest I've seen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Also, MSA Sordins with the gel cups made a very big difference and are much more comfortable no matter what glasses I am wearing.
    I agree.

Rudy Project Karboneye for eye pro; they have a flat bar made from carbon fiber or some nonsense that doesn't hurt when earpro press on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    These look promising but haven't tried them myself:
    http://www.esseyepro.com/Suppressor_detail.html
    Those are what I wear, I tried out nearly a dozen different types including several Rudy Project models (didn't make the Karboneye at the time though) and for me the ESS Crossbow Suppressor had the best fit, coverage, and comfort. I've had them for about a year and am still very happy with them. I wear them with the Sordins with gel cups as others have mentioned, quite comfortable. One minor thing to be aware of is they don't stay on quite as well as standard glasses if you have your muffs off, might bother someone who sometimes shoots with only plugs (although I think they did include a behind-the-head elastic strap in the package if you need it). I bought mine in a kit that included a nice hard case, smoke and clear lenses, one low-profile Suppressor frame, and one standard frame. Eventually I bought a second kit so I had both lenses in the Suppressor frames and the rest as spares or for guests.

Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs, the $50 green ones
    Rudy Project Noyz with Photo ImpactX Red & Clear lenses

I used to have the same problem. I thought it was the ear muffs. I was ready to buy a $250 set of Sordins until I stumbled upon the Rudy Project glasses. This solved the issue completely.

Previously, I wore Wiley-X or Revision glasses. I will never go back.

I own:

Wiley-X Romers: Huge, do not fit my 7" grape well. The way the lens is taken out/put in sucks. Would work underneath muffs if you're dome is big enough for the arm to actually rest against your temple.

ESS I.C.E.: I've never met anyone who likes these. They are very insecure and constantly fall off, the temple piece is basically a plastic toothpick but is good if you wear muffs. Fog up very easily even when using product. They're also freaking huge lenses, and if you wore a white helmet/bump cap you'd probably look like an X-Wing pilot from Star Wars.

ESS CDI: Fit my 7" head very well. Decently comfortable underneath muffs as they're flat temples, though wide. Can also wear them as sunglasses out in town without looking like a dork. Fog easily like the I.C.E, though, and the vision to the sides is noticeably impaired.

Oakley M-Frame 2.0: Like them. Fit my small head very well, do not easily fog, great coverage and vision. Comfortable under muffs.

If you don't feel the need for 180* coverage, a nice pair of classic shooting glasses will be awesome. When I feel like getting my Jim Zubiena on, I've got a nice yellow lens set I inherited from gramps, they use bendable rubber-coated wire frames that wrap around the ear too. Awesomely comfortable.

The absolute best improvement for comfort I made was buying a pair of Peltors simply so I could have gel ear cups. Before those, I was wearing Howard Leights which were uncomfortable even without glasses.

If you end up wanting Oakley's, see if you can get an account with US Standard Issue, the military marketing department of Oakley. I got my complete M-Frame package for $80, IIRC.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-07-2012 at 12:52 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Lately I've been using Decot Revel 64 shooting glasses, which have wire earpieces. Very comfortable, very good coverage, and reasonably priced Rx lenses.

-C

User Tag List