Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first IWB holster!

My first IWB holster!

I am interested in a IWB holster for my recently purchased 9mm Glock 19 Gen4 and realize that there are quite a few out there, but unsure, being a new comer to conceal carry, as to what would be the best one to purchase.

Kydex pancake holsters seem to work pretty well. I've been using a Raven Concealment Systems phantom since 2009 and its held up well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Like a lot of things, it depends and you'll end up like most of us with a drawer full of holsters.

Lots of good leather and kydex guys out there, several on the forum here. Figure out material, then position, then angle, and what your cover garment will be. Do you need tuckable?

I prefer the snap loops, easy to take on and off without having to thread the belt. I float between 4 o'clock and Appendix carry. Think about spending at least $100. It'll be worth it.

Good luck and let us know how the search goes.

Cookie Monster

I like my Raven Concealment Phantom set up with IWB loops quite well. I like my Raven Concealment Vanguard even better.

Either way, I think the RCS is probably a very good way to go.

Like someone mentioned I have the literal box of holsters in my closet. My search for the perfect holster stopped when I got my CCC Shaggy. Appendix IWB took a minute to get comfortable with, but now I can't imagine carrying at any other position. I have some "tactical padding" around the mid section and still find it incredibly comfortable. I carry my full size Glock 22 gen 4 and it disappears so well I'm planning to sell my Glock 26 gen 4 from shear lack of use. I did pay a little extra and got it with the full leather backing which I think adds to its comfort. There is a lengthy AIWB thread that's worth reading. This really is the last carry holster I plan to buy.
    Shooter's Digest Blog

check out darkstar gear the owner is on here. can not go wrong with him if you want kydex. I also have a crossbread IWB and love it. Like the others said you will have a box full before you find what you like.

If this is your first IWB holster, please read the sticky on AIWB carry in this section, and consider carefully whether you want to start with that carry mode (protip: nope) particularly with a GLOCK (hell nope).

I find leather to be a lot more comfortable than plastic strong side IWB. My most favoritist holster is a Milt Sparks executive's companion, rough side out, but there are firms on the forum (JRC and 5 shot) who make gear of similar or better quality with more manageable lead times; each is currently making me a holster.

If you can't wait 8-10 weeks, there are two good leather holsters in Brownells' catalog, usually in stock for GLOCK: the Alessi PCH and the Sparks Summer Special. Both are fine holsters.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Lots of great holsters out there, and as has been said, be prepared to have a box of holsters in your closet by the time you find the "one". I've been through many, and finally found my favorite. CompTac MTAC hybrid holster. I've carried several different weapons in them over the years, and for the last 2 they have housed my HKs. MTACs were my only holster, carried at 4-430.

I made the switch to AIWB a little while ago, looking for another option for CCW...I liked it so much, AIWB is now my primary method, and the MTACs are backups if needed.

Just my $.02, but I also would not consider AIWB for your first carry holster, especially not until you get some training/practice with CCW in general, more specifically with drawing and safely reholstering. To me, it requires a certain level of experience that first-time CCW'ers do not yet possess.

No carry position is forgiving of mistakes, but this is especially true for AIWB.

Good luck! The path to finding the best holster for you and your weapon can be fun, frustrating, and educational...it can also hurt your wallet some, but that is what it is.

If you want kydex, I recommend contacting Tom at www.darkstargear.com . He will make you a great quality rig and to the specs you need/want.

I will echo the above advice about first time CCW and AIWB as your first carry method with a Glock or any striker fired pistol without a manual safety. Heed it please, we enjoy new shooters and like to keep them around

Highly recommend the BT Nano IWB...

User Tag List