Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strobing flashlight

Strobing flashlight

so, since Novatec is dead. I finally went out and bought a Surefire Fury, 500 lumen light. Amazing light, it's so bright it hurts. But, of course, no strobe. I could have bought the Map read first press, and Full Bright second press version, but figured that would be next to worthless for me. I'm happier with a momentary 500 that I can pulse by hand, but I still want a strobe. Anyone got any suggestions? I've talked to the guys at Opticshq and if there is enough interest they'd do a special tailcap, which seems to be the only option I can find.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

FWIW I carry the Streamlight ProTac 2L.... http://www.streamlight.com/en-us/pro...t.html?pid=202

Good size for pocket carry, and you can press through to the low setting easily. Strobe is the 2nd press, and I find 180 lumens plenty.
    Taking a break from social media.

Why do you want strobe? The two front runners are the Four Sevens Quark Tacticals and the Klarus XT's. The Klarus XT2C was mentioned the most for the reasons I use a strobe (using light as concealment). I only have experience with the Four Sevens models though. The Quarks have the choice of two emitters and one has a higher strobe frequency than the other. For use in an AMIS type environment faster is better so you want the XP-G2 over the XML. The XML is brigher but the XP-G2 is plenty for a strobe. In specific the models to consider are the QTL, http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=3202, and http://www.foursevens.com/product_in...oducts_id=3206. I have all but the QTLC in addition to the QT2L-X and a few AA models. The QT2L-X is an XML model with a slower strobe rate. It is brighter but a little more floody. I do not miss the brightness with the QT2L.

I have a Klarus XT2C on the way, it is an XML light with a fast enough strobe rate for my needs and some different switching. Should be here tomorrow. Will update then.

What would be the deal with the OpticsHQ tailcap?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

As my background is military, I'm most familiar with Insight Technology. I'm currently using the Insight Technology HX120.

The max brightness setting is aggressive enough to leave spots in your vision. The momentary activation function is easily operable in any of the main flashlight holds from the various schools of technique from the tail. Each light can be customized to start on any brightness level or function and offers programmable settings that include: auto off, constant on, momentary on, dimming, a blinding strobe and SOS beacon.

This is purely a self defense application. Not concerned about use for Amis or similar. Strictly for pulling from the pocket and strobing a threat. Being that I'm in Canada the light, my knife and my body parts are my options for self defense. I've got a decent amount of experience using lights in conjunction with weapons and understand the difference in application, as well as for searching etc.
    A multi frequency strobe would be ideal, but I've yet to find one at this brightness level for max output, and 500 actually physically hurts, playing with the momentary tail cap and manually strobing has proven incredibly effective already. So just trying to find a way to achieve that level of brightness with a strobe.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

The Fenix PD32T6 or the FourSeven's Maelstrom series may interest you.

I've had lights of over 1500 lumens (LED and HID) flashed in my eyes countless times. While it's definitely blinding, I don't ever remember it hurting as I wasn't willing to keep my eyes open long enough
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I recommend Eagletac...good reliability and honest specs. I have used the P20C2 mkII for a couple years and love the operation. Roughly 70 lumens for normal use or release and press within 1.5 seconds for 500 lumens strobe. Fully tightened head for regular 500 lumens mode - again double tap or release and press for strobe. You can also tighten-loosen to go to roughly 10 lumens or repeat again to go to beacon or s.o.s.

Everything easy to do with gloves and the rubber tailcap accessory makes it easy to hold with your teeth when hands are full.

Use the 70 or 10 lumens modes most of the time and the two batteries last a long time - dies within 5 minutes of dim operation unlike some of the more expensive brands.

For what you want the light to do I would agrue that you don't need a built in strobe.

Seriously.

Back before Ken Good got the Gladius off the ground we used software instead of hardware to strobe the person we wanted to use the light against. This was as simple as thumbing the switch at a rapid rate, or basically giggling the light while hitting them in the eyes with the beam.

Sounds stupid, but it isn't, and I have yet to meet anyone who has had this technique demonstarted on them able to tell the difference between a "real" strobe and a guy using one of these techniques.

I don't like strobes inside the home. I had a 180 lumen light and the back splash off of white walls was enough to affect my vision too. I know from being on the other end (safely of course) that the strobe is very disorienting when shined directly at you, but I get some of that disorientation from splash as well. It may just be my eyes. I've changed out to Surefire momentary lights as it doesn't seem to give me the same issues that the strobe does from splash.

As an aside, 500 lumens is A LOT of light (for indoors) regardless of the strobe feature or not.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

My Gladius strobes real well, particularly since I've had it whoomped up to 300+ lumens. But I've found it disorients me too.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List