Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero issue with S&W M&P 340 (J Frame)

Site Supporter

Zero issue with S&W M&P 340 (J Frame)

I’m having a zero issue with my S&W M&P 340. It’s the model with the factory XS Big Dot Front sight and Laser grips.

I purchased this weapon from a S&W Law Enforcement dealer with the intention of getting it approved for duty use as a back-up weapon to replace my S&W 642.

The M&P revolver functions and groups fine, however. at 7, 15 and 25 yards it consistently hits to the right / 3 o’clock. The group moves further to the right as the distance increases. Approximately 3” at 7 yards, 6 “ at 15 yards , 8-10” at 25 yards etc.

The first time I fired the 340 I used Remington lead free Frangible . I thought the zero issue might have been the lead free ammo so tried with our duty round, CCI/Speer 135 grain +P .38 special as well as Remington and Winchester standard velocity 130 grain FMJ .38 special.

To eliminate the possibility this was shooter error, I shot the same ammunition through my S&W 642. The groups were centered with all three types of ammunition. I then tried dry fire with the laser grips and saw no pronounced movement to the right. Finally I had another experienced shooter/ Firearms Instructor shoot the 340 – all rounds were to the right for the second shooter as well.

I contacted S&W customer Service, they sent me a fed ex label and the 340 went back to S&W. A few weeks later the 340 was returned. the work order read : “Customer Complaint – Barrel Frame Line-Up” and “ Repaired Adjust Barrel Alignment.”

I took the 340 out to the range last Friday and it is still hitting consistently to the right with CCI/Speer 135 grain +P . I again had a second experienced shooter fire the weapon and again all rounds were to the right for the second shooter as well as myself. The barrel / front sight appeared to be centered.

S&W is sending another Fed Ex label but any thoughts / suggestions on cause and possible solutions would be appreciated.

Mine shoots left and the frame/front sight are lined up perfectly. I asked Claude Werner to take a look at it and he confirmed that it is the gun. According to Claude, this is not uncommon with the fixed sight snubbies.

I believe - but don't take my word for it - that the "fix" is to actually adjust the barrel and realign the sight with the frame. In other words, you can't adjust the sights so you have to adjust the barrel itself. Mine is not bad enough that I've ever been tempted to try the fix, especially not with laser grips installed.

Perhaps the rear notch is not machined properly. If the notch was machined off center to the right, relieving material on the left side of the rear notch would shift alignment. I would consult a gunsmith though.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    I believe - but don't take my word for it - that the "fix" is to actually adjust the barrel and realign the sight with the frame. In other words, you can't adjust the sights so you have to adjust the barrel itself. Mine is not bad enough that I've ever been tempted to try the fix, especially not with laser grips installed.
    I believe you are correct but I noticed little or no change in POI since it's last trip to S&W. The laser grips are great but I'm not comfortable relying on them 100% for a carry/ duty gun.

The Big Dot sight and it's improved / more visible sight picture was my main reason for purchasing the M&P.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Back in the day, I would have said "Oh, the barrel's clocked," but that's not supposed to happen with the two-piece barrels.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I've owned a bunch of j-frames over the past 35 years. So far, I've only managed to find 2 of them that have shot to the sights. And I had to file down the front sight on one to make it happen...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Mine have all been regulated for heavier bullets but most shot pretty straight. The lighter bullets however would shoot high. Aim for the belly button to hit COM.

Some I would file the front sight to use the better designed lightweight JHP bullets. Most of the time I left'em alone and went back to 158 grain lead SWC hollowpoints. The current 638 I have is stuffed with a supply of those old FBI loads.

I truly do not know what to say if you have a newer model to fix. Like Tam mentioned a simple tightening or loosening of the barrel would fix it on the old models.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    The lighter bullets however would shoot high.
    Buh-whuh?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Buh-whuh?
    Why confused?...

Never mind. My lack of recent target practice with the 638 is blocking my memory.
    Last edited by FotoTomas; 03-15-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    The 340 is again at S&W so we shall see.....

My first back up gun, a 640, used to shoot POA/POI with 158 grain loads and Low with 110 grain +P+.

User Tag List