Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The vice president was right.

I have sent several used 870s off for that, and it's really quite awesome. It was a little bit awesomer when it was only $200, but hey inflation's a bitch.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I have sent several used 870s off for that, and it's really quite awesome. It was a little bit awesomer when it was only $200, but hey inflation's a bitch.
    It's a lifesaver for tired ex-popo guns or Jasper's old duck blaster.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Yeah, the Magpul stock surprised me. It's definitely ahead of the factory furniture. My 870 Express had the "rust if you look at it" problem which was cured with Krylon.

Is Remington still dimpling the end of the mag tube on the express models to make installing an extension a pain?

Tamara, are you considering a light for your new shotgun?

Just curious, Surefire is supposed to release a new shotgun light that offers around 200 lumens for a projected street price of about 200 dollars. I was wondering what your research had led you to consider, with your resources.

I recently snagged an old 870, and it's been a lot of fun building it up. Good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by pdb View Post
    Is Remington still dimpling the end of the mag tube on the express models to make installing an extension a pain?
    Didn't check. Wasn't planning on installing an extension, anyway. I'm just tickled that they ditched the ghey J-lock since last I owned an 870.

FWIW, I'm probably only ever going to use this thing as a range toy and to take to shotgun classes. I mostly bought it for the price tag and the fact that the smoothbore barrel with rifle sights and short mag tube is to scatterguns what a two-tone 1911 with Pachmayrs is to pistols: It just screams "hardcore tacticool circa 1985".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It's an Express, so not only is the plywood stock heavy and too long, it's also as ugly as the backside of a mud fence on a rainy day. I mean, this matte-finished furniture is ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. And heavy. And too long.
    Ooh, yeah. Do away with that stuff, post-haste.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Tamara, are you considering a light for your new shotgun?

Just curious, Surefire is supposed to release a new shotgun light that offers around 200 lumens for a projected street price of about 200 dollars.
    I Did Not Know This.

I need to put some kind of light on it and was currently idly exploring options of doodads to go on the Magpul foreend... I am totes open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I Did Not Know This.

I need to put some kind of light on it and was currently idly exploring options of doodads to go on the Magpul foreend... I am totes open to suggestions.
    I really like the old Laser Products-era SF fore-end. Not too fond of the current SF offering, it's heavy and frankly uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to seeing the new SF offering, hopefully it'll be lighter and easier on the hands during long shooting sessions. Now if they'd only come out with a SF light handguard for my VEPR-12...

Tamara, I am with LHS on this. I have a pair of 870's rigged to repel boarders, and do prefer the older Surefire Laser Products fore-end. Mine has one of Gene Malkoff's 200-ish lumen LED's, which gives it a very nice room-filling flood. Throw is pretty reasonable as well. It will work for the average sized backyard. It's a lot slimmer, and frankly easier to operate with human-sized hands.

If you look on ebay, you should be able to track one down for under $200. The LED runs about $60. That works out to be cheaper than the newer 618FA model, which is bigger, uses an incan bulb, and has less flood and throw.

The other nice thing about the older light, is that it really is easier to use Chief Haught's push/pull recoil control techniques. That is my very humble opinion. But it does seem to be faster and easier with that older light. The newer light is fatter and more difficult to brace, I think.

My only concern about just about every other light system, is that I have seen them break. Everyone seems to eventually go with a Surefire 618, or ditch the light idea entirely. It's the Borg of scattergun illumination.

I'm doing a Advanced Pistol/Shotgun class at the end of the month, and plan to bring both. But I am banking on the old beater gun with old parts.

I hope that was a help, please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

User Tag List