Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The vice president was right.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

The vice president was right.

Because I am a patriotic American, I listen to my vice president. When I was in the thoroughly picked-over gun store yesterday, a Remington 870 caught my eye. I realized that, except for a vintage Model 10 of questionable reliability and which has a stock that currently consists of more crack than wood and would probably explode into splinters under the recoil of a high-brass buckshot load, I have been keeping house for years without a gauge, and so I bought the 870. It's a deer gun with a 20" Imp Cyl barrel with rifle sights, and it was right at three and a half bills.

I need to get one of them there Magpul stocks on it, and then research the "Balcony Load" thread for good defensive ammo. I only hope this thing will work as well as a Perazzi for keeping the cads and bounders off my lawn.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I strongly encourage sending it to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steal package, which in addition to a hilarious name is also a great way to sex up an 870 for not much money.

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/shotgun-remington-steal.asp

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I strongly encourage sending it to Wilson Combat for their Remington Steal package, which in addition to a hilarious name is also a great way to sex up an 870 for not much money.

Dude, this is a brand new gauge (although the sku, 25565, has been out of circulation for a bit, so ghu only knows how long it's been gathering dust in a back corner of the RSR or Davidson warehouse...)

I figured for three bills and with rifle sights in Indiana that it was probably some dude's deer gun that he sold to make a car payment or something.

I know your pretty recoil proof, but I've been quite happy with my Knoxx Comp stock. Aside from sucking the recoil down, the adjustable stock is nice for heavy clothing.

Great shotgun to have around. If NIB, run it hard for awhile to get everything running smoothly and polished out. I like a high-visibility follower if it doesn't have one already. The stock on that one is too long for most folks, a replacement, table saw, or trip to the smith is in order. For defensive loads, the Federal Tactical LE132 OOB and LE132 1B are leading the way.

What a great host for a T1, too. Lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    I know your pretty recoil proof, but I've been quite happy with my Knoxx Comp stock. Aside from sucking the recoil down, the adjustable stock is nice for heavy clothing.
    I just burned up the rest of a Brownells gift card ordering some Magpul furniture. They had one of the Magpul HD guns at the shop, too. I spent some time coonfingering it and really liked the way that ugly furniture made the gun handle, but it was, like, two bills more than the deer gun and it had the long mag tube and that fruity-looking ported wart on the muzzle end, when all I wanted was the stock and forearm.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Is this a Wingmaster or an express? I have a blued po-surp 870 from some Louisiana SO that I have done up with a +2 tube and a 4 shell sidesaddle by Mesa. Never wanted to remove the wood stocks myself. I don't usually keep it loaded, anyway - I find one of my 9mm pistols is sufficient in my rather cramped quarters...

They are lovely guns, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Is this a Wingmaster or an express? I have a blued po-surp 870 from some Louisiana SO that I have done up with a +2 tube and a 4 shell sidesaddle by Mesa. Never wanted to remove the wood stocks myself.
    It's an Express, so not only is the plywood stock heavy and too long, it's also as ugly as the backside of a mud fence on a rainy day. I mean, this matte-finished furniture is ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road. And heavy. And too long.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

That's an idea! I didn't know they had such a package. I just picked up a very old but very nice 870 (2 3/4 chamber, old corncob foregrip) for under what that package costs. I need the 18" barrel however.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List