Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: At home non ammo target and training ideas

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    But I'm not actually someone you want to shoot. So you can accept it's not a gun when you are pretending I'm a bad guy, but can't accept it when you stop pretending?

Except I haven't seen that translate into actual practice. Like I said, I wave a SIRT around in class like it's... well, like it's not a gun. Because it's not. I get permission from students and then use them as targets for demos, etc. I've never once accidentally asked a student to walk down range and be a target for a live fire demo. I've never had a student whip his gun out and wave it around dangerously with the excuse, but teacher did it! It just doesn't happen.

If you want to use a SIRT or Ring's gun as a safety training device I totally get that. LE agencies do things like that all the time, issuing everyone a Ring's or ASP gun and telling them to treat it like the real thing. No objection from me... that is one way to use those tools. But there are other ways, too.

You might as well say never point your finger at someone you don't want to destroy. Is it dangerous to point my finger? No. And it's not dangerous to point the solid plastic gun-lookalike, either.
    We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

One question however as an instructor what can you see from the front wile someone is using a SIRT pistol that you could not see from the side or rear ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    One question however as an instructor what can you see from the front wile someone is using a SIRT pistol that you could not see from the side or rear ?
    Eye dominance. It's also often simply easier to move around the front when examing the grip from all angles. But that's not the primary way I use the SIRT when teaching, certainly.

User Tag List