Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At home non ammo target and training ideas

Exclamation At home non ammo target and training ideas

I am looking for any and all teaching and training ideas for at home. Laser,video games or anything that can help a new handgun owner learn and practice without going to the range or use of live ammo. It's gotten so expensive to have all the ammo you need for training and still have some for when its really needed. I need ideas to chose from to take some of the money out of the issue and still get some aiming and racking skills put to use. HELP!!

You're still going to be spending some cash but the initial cost is different than the cost of ammo. Any of the laser devices, a SIRT pistol, a Blue Gun, a Bladetech barrel insert, etc. Add a shot timer as well. Training DVD's or a subscription to Panteo etc. Everything all costs money so it's a matter of how much you're willing to spend. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people that will chime in but those are the easiest and quickest things that come to mind.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhock1 View Post
    I am looking for any and all teaching and training ideas for at home. Laser,video games or anything that can help a new handgun owner learn and practice without going to the range or use of live ammo. It's gotten so expensive to have all the ammo you need for training and still have some for when its really needed. I need ideas to chose from to take some of the money out of the issue and still get some aiming and racking skills put to use. HELP!!
    A SIRT pistol and some snap caps for the gun(s) you want to be training with. That should do just fine.

I do not know what you mean by "racking skills" but practicing slidelock and tac reloads with snap caps is very helpful and has certainly sped my reloads up by quite a bit. You can very readily practice drawing from concealment with a dry pistol too. The SIRT is good for trigger manipulation and is a compliment to dry fire.

Sirt with a mix of 1.5x2, 3x3, and 3x5 post it notes stuck around the house. Avoid large targets with the sirt or dry fire. For me, they lend themselves to "cheating".

A SIRT should be high on that list but at some point you do need to shoot the gun. A *good* one day class that uses 200-300 rounds of ammo will save you a lot of time and help prevent you from developing nasty habits on your own. The videos should reinforce the instruction, not be the only instruction.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    I have absolutely no idea what a sirt pistol is...

Whats wrong with good old fashioned dryfire ? You can do every thing you do in live fire with dryfire
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

I have found with some patience and a well thought out program you can get a lot of good work in with your gun, magazines and a handful of dummy rounds.

There are a variety of dry fire drills and regimens you can use, some are featured here at PF.

I have recently added the Dave Harrington dry drills, available on video here:
    http://www.panteaoproductions.com/pr...e#.UZ4bdKLCaSo

I have various distances marked out in my house so that I can practice at specified intervals.

You can invest in a SIRT, BeamHit, or other device, and there's nothing wrong with those. If you don't want to though, you're only limited by your imagination.

Dry Fire, SIRT, Airsoft, are all good options. Heck, sometimes I'll even practice draws with just a plastic blue gun.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what a sirt pistol is...
    Manufacturer: http://nextleveltraining.com/

Just a few PF threads:

Besides classes, it is absolutely the best money I've ever spent on pistol training. Actually, I got the first one as a gift, but thought well enough of it to purchase a second.

User Tag List