Thread: Can I use .22 long in .22LR guns?

Can I use .22 long in .22LR guns?

Can I use .22 Long in .22LR semi-autos?

I know functionality will be hit or miss, but can I do it, and will I damage things if I do?

It's fine. .22 LR will safely shoot .22 Short, .22 Long, and of course .22 LR.

The distinction between Long and LR is sorta pointless these days....Most high-velocity rounds such as the Stinger and Hornet would be considered Longs by the historical defintion. The only difference between the two is that Long's were originally just ~30gr bullets, with LR being 40gr. The cases are the same.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I've never tried it, but I have doubts about .22 short feeding through my .22 LR magazines... There wouldn't be an issue?
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

I'm not aware of any detachable magazine .22s that function on a variable diet of .22s (Shorts to LR), but several tube fed ones do.

A semi auto probably won't work. Revolvers/Bolt Actions/Lever Actions should be ok

Quote Originally Posted by HCL3 View Post
    A semi auto probably won't work. Revolvers/Bolt Actions/Lever Actions should be ok
    I know that I've run .22 Shorts through a Mossberg tube-feed bolt gun, with no issues. Anything that has a box magazine is going to have issues though.

User Tag List