Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading press choice

Reloading press choice

I'm looking into finally doing done reloading, and the myriad choices of components and equipment has me in a bit of a vapor lock. So far I think I want a single stage press to start out, and eventually get a progressive press for volume. Dies anyone have any experience with the Hornady Lock-n-Load? I know the RCBS Rock Chucker is the benchmark in this area, but the Hornady's quick change die feature and 500 free XTP bullets are intriguing. I don't intend to load large volumes on this press, it's more a way to get me into the hobby, and once I get a progressive press down the road, I'll transition the single stage into hunting/precision ammo.

Site Supporter
    FWIW: You can get the Hornady quick die change on an RCBS RC:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/858...on-bushing-kit

I use my Rock Chucker for loading rifle rounds. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Dillon 550B rather than the RC.

I load pistol rounds on a Super 1050.

either one would be fine for a single stage - for a progressive, Dillon all the way (I have a L-N-L AP, and would never do it again)

Banned
    I would get the Dillon 550. It does not auto index so it is a "single stage" press if you choose to use it that way. Put in one die at a time in the first position and use it just as a single stage press until your are comfortable loading. Then when you are ready you already own a progressive press and if reloading turns out to not be your thing the Dillon has great resale value.

I would go the route of the single stage to get my feet wet. However, on the D550, since it does not auto index you must pay very close attention. It is very possible to get out of sequence and double charge a case. A neighbor went with the D550 as his first press and is loading for .38 spec. A tall case and easy to throw a double charge that you can miss. The mental steps I laid out for him are to rotate, place empty cartridge, place bullet, pull / push, repeat. He is not happy with the process. Just something to consider. The cost of D650 or Hornady LNL is not much more BTW. After you get comfortable with the single stage, you can easily duplicate the load on the progressive. I personally feel the manual indexing is a potential failure point. With that being said, adjusting and experimenting with small batches of ammo is a pain with an auto indexer. The single stage is IMO great for working up loads and getting the mental steps down.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    I feel the need to reiterate this:

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    I would get the Dillon 550. It does not auto index so it is a "single stage" press if you choose to use it that way.
    If you're worried about double charging during the learning phase, don't use it as a multi-stage press.

When learning, I specifically picked a powder that would overflow if double charged.

There is a stripped down version of the 550, the bl550, that can be upgraded to a full 550. Or get a rock chucker -- either approach will be sound.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    either one would be fine for a single stage - for a progressive, Dillon all the way (I have a L-N-L AP, and would never do it again)
    I'm looking into presses myself. Just curious ... what was your issue was with the Hornady LNL?

I love my dillon 650. No other experience with other presses. I am loading 9mm.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I certainly plan to get a Dillon progressive (probably a 650 or 1050) when I get a bit more experience under my belt, and want to go for volume production of service pistol or 5.56mm ammo. But I figure a single-stage will be simple and easy to learn on, and I can use it for hunting and/or precision ammo for calibers I shoot in low volume (I plan to start with .44 Mag, and then probably go to 9.3x62mm Mauser, and eventually add .308 and .30-'06 when I get rifles in those calibers). I don't see myself loading more than 50 rounds at a sitting at first.

So far I can get either the Rock Chucker or the single-stage L-N-L in a kit for $300. The only real difference seems to be that Hornady is offering 500 free bullets with theirs. $150 worth of .44 180gr XTPs is tempting. My only concern is that while the Rock Chucker is a well-known and highly regarded press, I haven't found much info on the L-N-L single-stage. If the Hornady is as good as the RCBS, then the free projos and quick-change dies seem to make it a better deal (though having to shell out $50 for bushings for every new caliber does start to eat away at that savings, I don't plan on doing more than two calibers in the reasonably near future on this press).

User Tag List