Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Service Caliber Handgun Tests

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If Hornady's numbers for the 135+p were consistent with the actual results DocGKR got, I'd be more willing to try it.
    Preach it. I really wish the 175 grain .40 did the same.

Glad I came here before dropping some coin on the Hornady stuff. 124+P Gold Dot has always been hella accurate out of my P226.

And yes Todd, I still own a 226. That magical fairy bit you gave me is holding up quite well and makes for a better gun. LTNS btw

Why doesn't Kyle's carry the Speer stuff or is it just out of stock? I found a few places that SEEM to have it in stock, but don't know if they are reliable
    vendors.

If you can remember what pistol was used for the test.

So, after seeing two Hornady shoots where they did the full FBI test battery in a demo at LE ranges, I was liking what I was seeing with that 135gr +P. I bought some locally to try out since one wants to have a back-up options/s in case they can't get their first choice of carry/duty ammo.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 135gr +P shoots to the exact same POA=POI as my preferred 124gr +P Gold Dot, and even shoot a tighter group as well. I managed two ten shot groups at the 25 onto a B8 repaid bullseye, all rounds in the black, the ones that weren't my called fliers from the main group being centered in the 10 ring in a group that was 2 1/2" wide.

I know that's not a Molon quality report on accuracy, but I was impressed since I was using a stock gen 3 G17 with a NY1 trigger and Ameriglo sights that covered the entire bull at that range.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    So, after seeing two Hornady shoots where they did the full FBI test battery in a demo at LE ranges, I was liking what I was seeing with that 135gr +P. I bought some locally to try out since one wants to have a back-up options/s in case they can't get their first choice of carry/duty ammo.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 135gr +P shoots to the exact same POA=POI as my preferred 124gr +P Gold Dot, and even shoot a tighter group as well. I managed two ten shot groups at the 25 onto a B8 repaid bullseye, all rounds in the black, the ones that weren't my called fliers from the main group being centered in the 10 ring in a group that was 2 1/2" wide.

I know that's not a Molon quality report on accuracy, but I was impressed since I was using a stock gen 3 G17 with a NY1 trigger and Ameriglo sights that covered the entire bull at that range.
    That load is readily available locally too. The .357 Sig version of that load penetrated exceptionally (about 15" IIRC) after defeating the windshield. That or the Hornady 147 XTP load or a FMJ flat point load might be loadings I pack to Alaska if I might take my G31 along with my 629.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

What kind of heavy clothing penetration were you seeing? I've been eyeing the same load, for much the same reasons (+P Gold Dot having dried up), and I have a ready source of the Hornady load.

Quote Originally Posted by gruntjim View Post
    What kind of heavy clothing penetration were you seeing? I've been eyeing the same load, for much the same reasons (+P Gold Dot having dried up), and I have a ready source of the Hornady load.
    What I saw a few months ago, and they did the BB confirmation on the gel so the shoot was legit, was in line with what Hornady shows in their 2015 LE catalog , which is less than what Doc tested it at.

I gotta wonder if they tweeked the bullet just a bit for more expansion/less penetration.
    www.agiletactical.com

thanks for the quick reply; for what it's worth, I think you're right. Hornady is showing a lot of class by being this quick off the mark to improve a product.

I recall Doc testing the then new .38 Critical Defense when it came out. The denim test went very poorly, none of the bullets expanded, Doc talked to someone from Hornady, they sent him redesigned ammo to test in just a few days IIRC, and the tweeked bullets worked as they should have.
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List