Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Service Caliber Handgun Tests

On the Gold Dot and automobiles:

The agency I retired from has issued the 165 GDHP .40 since '96 and we had 6 shootings involving cars. Three of those were with my guys.

Personally, anecdotally, speaking...I have alot of confidence in that load around cars.

We are diminished
    Which 165gr .40-cal Gold Dot? There are two. One is rated at 1,150fps and the other, a "reduced recoil" load, at 1,050fps. Some agencies have reported poor results with the reduced recoil variant.

Thanks for the ranking Todd. I have carried the Gold Dots for several years and am currently sitting on approx 500rds. I just saw one of my favorite ammo dealers had the other stuff in stock and recall reading about the Hornady lately so was evaluating if I should stick with what I have or "upgrade". I originally chose the Gold Dots for a reason so I might as well stick with what I have.

We are diminished
    If Hornady's numbers for the 135+p were consistent with the actual results DocGKR got, I'd be more willing to try it.

In fairness, I'm also an ATK (Federal & Speer) fanboy because they've been so good to me over the past five years.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Which 165gr .40-cal Gold Dot? There are two. One is rated at 1,150fps and the other, a "reduced recoil" load, at 1,050fps
    The hot one.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    The hot one.
    I hate to belabor this point, but because it's you...

Are you talking about the one that exits the barrel faster, or the one that comes with the nicer pocket square and shoes?

I hate to belabor this point, but because it's you...

Are you talking about the one that exits the barrel faster, or the one that comes with the nicer pocket square and shoes?

Hah
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Good read by Chris L on cars vs bullets with some gold dot data in it. Article starts on page 25 and continues on at pg36.

1. Speer Gold Dot 124gr+P
    2. Federal HST 147gr std pressure
    3. Hornady Critical Duty 135gr+P (or std pressure)

I know DocGKR's seen great results both in jello and actual on-duty reports with the 147gr HST but I remain a fan of the faster bullets because, well, voodoo. The 124gr +p Gold Dot is probably the most proven 9mm duty/defense round on the market having been in use by NYPD for many years now with very positive results. The Hornady stuff has no real track record yet. It wouldn't surprise me if the 135+p load performs well (the old Federal Tactical 135gr +p had some amazing success stories), though.
    With the 9mm?

I like the 124 +P
    I think I may have a slight edge in feeding over the 147 standard pressure loads.

But in 40S&W I like the 180gr or even a 200gr. BTW I hope the 200 gr Nosler load will do well in the Dr. test.
    Mainly because my P229 loves the heavier bullets.

We have issued the 124gr +P Gold Dot for many years, except 2006 when we issued the 124gr +P Ranger-T. Both are superb loads for police duty or defensive use.

That Gold Dot loading is very well proven over the years, and likely as close to "best duty load ever" as you will find, IMHO
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 12-28-2014 at 01:07 AM.

User Tag List