Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Service Caliber Handgun Tests

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Any details you can share about the GD failures? I've dealt with a number of agencies that issue it and report great success with car part penetration & performance.
    Please note my qualifiers in my previous posting concerning traffic stops or lack there of.

I would feel perfectly well loaded knocking about loaded with Gold Dots or Ranger SXT and probably several others. What I saw with both of these rounds was a catastrophic separation of bullets when fired through auto glass as well as sheet metal. Against bare ballistic gelatin or clothed gelatin, the GDs and the Rangers performed as advertised.

We were issuing Gold Dots. After seeing the separation, I pulled out my phone and started the process to switch our duty ammo.

It should be noted that the Critical Duty in .45 had not been released at that time. I switched our .45 guys over to Federal HST because it also performed very well against auto glass and sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    It was my understanding ammo companies were pretty good about futzing with tests to get the results they wanted. I've yet to see anything that would get me to carry hornady handgun ammo in anything other than .44 magnum, and I'm not a hater, I love their rifle stuff.
    At the demos, note the plural use of the word, that I have attended, the people conducting the demo offered participants the opportunity to shoot any ammo they wished through all of the same testing media as that used by the company.

The tests were straight up head to head comparisons, and the company didn't know what ammo would be shot other than their own.

We are diminished
    I hope this doesn't come across as rude, it's not meant to be. Butn are you talking about Gold Dots or Golden Saber? The Gold Dot is bonded and jacket separation shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think I have even seen a picture of a Gold Dot that actually had core/jacket separation. I've seen pictures of them pretty smashed and misshapen after a tough barrier like auto glass, but the copper is still electroplated onto the lead...

Not doubting you jlw. Just surprised to hear your report.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I hope this doesn't come across as rude, it's not meant to be. Butn are you talking about Gold Dots or Golden Saber? The Gold Dot is bonded and jacket separation shouldn't be an issue.
    Gold Dots. 100%, positively, unquestionably without a doubt: Gold Dots.

I have never owned, been issued, or even fired a single round of Golden Sabre ammunition.

From personal experience... 45 ACP 230 grain Gold Dots are the shit. That is all. Carry on.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I don't think I have even seen a picture of a Gold Dot that actually had core/jacket separation. I've seen pictures of them pretty smashed and misshapen after a tough barrier like auto glass, but the copper is still electroplated onto the lead...

Not doubting you jlw. Just surprised to hear your report.
    Yeah, this. I've seen a crapload of spent GDHP and am having a hard time wrapping my head around how you could get the copper off the lead without, like, smelting it down or something.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

At the 2012 GALEFI conference, Hornady did an ammo demo. They shot all of their stuff and then offered to let others shoot their own ammo through the same tests. One guy took them up on it, but I don't remember what he shot.

A few months later, two of our guys and I attended a demo at a metro Atlanta Sheriff's Office. At that demo, we shot our then issued.45 ACP duty ammo, which has Gold Dots bullets, and some Winchester Ranger SXT in 9mm. What we saw were miserable failures of both of these when fired through auto glass.

One of our instructors arranged for them to come do a demo at our place. I was not able to attend this demo due to a prior commitment. I do have some video, but apparently "don't video the narc" has more meanings than I knew it did with one of which mean "its okay to video the narc several times because I didn't think the chief really meant it".

I've shot gold dots at steal plates and found them intact but rather flattened down range. I wonder if you had a bad lot of ammo or something. I was operating under the assumption you'd shear petals off before you'd see core jacket separation on a gold dot.
    Last edited by Sparks2112; 03-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Tumble platers typically plate well, or not at all.

DocGKR - has anyone actually modeled projectile impact on "auto glass" (quotes because of the variability of auto glass)? Is there a standard test? That is, with a good DoE.

User Tag List