Thread: j frame ammo performance questions

j frame ammo performance questions

carry a 642 j frame. per my reading on here and from the FBI reports,carrying fed 148gr match WC. win/fed,other would be ok,just have fed on hand. planning extra ammo to be lead semi wad cutters (ease of reload). any data on the performance of either 148gr match vs 158gr semi wads? brand recommendations from existing data. magtech,win,likely others have that ammo. buf bore hard cast likely ideal but $ matter when putting back a supply. thanks for any input.

You probably want to start with this thread

wadcutter in snubbie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I typically have 148 gr full wadcutters in my J-frame with JHP/PT loads for reloads, as wadcutters are not noted for quick reloading into cylinders...

And this stickied locked thread

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp

When faced with too little penetration, as is common with lightweight .38 Sp JHP loads or too much penetration like with the wadcutters, then go with penetration. Agencies around here have used the Winchester 148 gr standard pressure lead target wadcutter (X38SMRP), as well as the Federal (GM38A) version--both work.

Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.

read them prior to posting. seems the target load in 642 is cool. mostly wondering about proven performance of 158gr SWC as compared to 148 match. in all likelyhood a wash out,i seem to see from prev threads. just wouldn't object to having only one load for the J.

The LSWC’s are pretty slow to reload also.

The LSWCs will likely penetrate more while not making as wide of a hole, contrary to lore SWCs do not cut on the shoulder but at the meplat.

As a reload I wouldn't worry too much about it though, you're in a gun fight and you are reloading a snub, getting reloaded would be the priority.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

158gr swc vs lead hp vs LRN-any known or likely diff out of an air weight?

Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    158gr swc vs lead hp vs LRN-any known or likely diff out of an air weight?
    As far as terminal effect? Or?
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycnoob View Post
    Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +P JHP, Winchester 130 gr bonded +P JHP (RA38B), and Barnes 110 gr XPB all copper JHP (for ex. in the Corbon DPX loading) offer the most reliable expansion we have seen from a .38 sp 2” BUG; Hornady 110 gr standard pressure and +P Critical Defense loads also offer good performance out of 2" barrel revolvers.
    The Winchester bonded PDX-1 is my choice for carry in my LCR. The only time I've had to use it was versus a pitbull that latched on to my arm before I was aware of its presence (Surprise!!!) and it performed as required. No necropsy was done so I can't say what penetration or expansion was, but it got him off me with one shot to the chest.

User Tag List