Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Road Trip - Texas to Georgia, need suggestions

Road Trip - Texas to Georgia, need suggestions

Next month we (me, the wife, and 5 year old girl) will be driving from TX to Georgia (Atlanta area). Looking for suggestions on things to do while we're there. Also we'll need to stop on the way back, and might spend a day or so if we can find something interesting to do.
    We'd love to spend a day at the beach, and Fort Walton Beach and Gulf Shores are on the route, but it being spring break season that might be a no go.
    So, Atlanta area restaurants, things to see, etc., and a good place to stop roughly anywhere from Mobile to New Orleans would be appreciated. Conversely, any places to absolutely avoid would be good to know.

Site Supporter
    If you're transiting LA from the North, via I-49, the best way across the southern swamps is to avoid them entirely. Getting stuck behind an accident (frequent) on the elevated parts of I-10 between Lafayette and New Orleans sucks. Best route is to exit I-49 at Opelousas and take US-190 East to I-110 South to I-10 East, then just a few miles after you get on I-10 you'll want to take I-12 across the North side of Lake Pontchartrain, instead of the I-10 into NOLA (more elevated roadway and traffic that way).

If you're coming from the Houston/I-10 corridor, I'm not sure what to tell you except to check the traffic reports for the I-10 before you get East of Lafayette. Unfortunately, the elevated I-10 traffic situation can change in an instant.

Not much I can suggest for a 5 year old.. but.. The Tabasco factory in New Iberia is pretty cool. Florida panhandle beaches are very nice.

ETA: Coca-Cola tour in Atlanta is pretty cool too..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

FWB (Destin) will be a zoo thanks to spring break, there are spots along the Gulf Coast you can hit that are a little less full of people though. Navarre Beach between FWB and Pensacola is absolutely beautiful. For several miles it is the Gulf Islands National Seashore, and there are no condos/houses or anything but parking lots. Might be a little less crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    FWB (Destin) will be a zoo thanks to spring break, there are spots along the Gulf Coast you can hit that are a little less full of people though. Navarre Beach between FWB and Pensacola is absolutely beautiful. For several miles it is the Gulf Islands National Seashore, and there are no condos/houses or anything but parking lots. Might be a little less crowded.
    That's what I'm afraid of, but we might swing through that area and hit the beach for a bit then move on and stay the night elsewhere.
    RGB- we're leaving from SA so will take the southern route and hope for the best.
    Coca Cola plant is on the agenda I think (visiting family and they may already have plans for us). The CNN HQ was also mentioned, I think they have a pretty neat tour. Maybe I could meet Piers Morgan

Site Supporter
    If you take IH 10 to Mobile AL you can pick up IH 65/85 to Atlanta.

The Battle ship USS Alabama is in Mobile. The military park there includes a submarine , multiple aircraft, tanks and artillery pieces that my inner 5 year old really enjoyed. The Alabama is HUGE -little kids will dig it.

There is also a Bass Pro just off IH-10 in Spanish Fort a little East of Mobile.

http://www.ussalabama.com/visitor_info.php

The National Infantry Museum in Colombus GA is pretty neat as well but not for most y/o girls ...

http://www.nationalinfantrymuseum.org/
    Last edited by HCM; 02-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Another vote for the USS Alabama. Out of the way just a bit, but the Museum of Naval Aviation at NAS Pensacola is really a must see . The Blue Angels practice in the morning if they are in town. Pensacola Beach is gorgeous and less crowded for spring break and has nice restaurants. The World of Coke and the GA Aquarium are very good choices and kid friendly once you get to Atlanta. Stay away from Underground Atlanta.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The Naval Aviation Museum on NAS Pensacola is pretty cool, and is free to visit. Only issue might be if you are traveling with a firearm.

ETA: PT Doc beat me to the punch!

When I was stationed at NASP (2007) I believe the Angels usually practiced on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

Roy had it dead on in the direction advice. We did that the way back last time.

Georgia aquarium is a kid's dream (no firearms iirc)

Olympic Park

Stone Mountain

ESPN!!!

If passing through Destin you have to hit the donut hole for breakfast and bring me back a coffee mug.

I'll add more after talking to the wife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

Up in Cleveland, GA is this place if your little one likes these: http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

Dahlonega, GA is my favorite town in the whole area. Here is the March calendar up there. http://dahlonega.org/index.php/compo...ro/100046.html

Atlanta has mueseums, a zoo, an acquarium if those sound worthy. They leave me more meh but I not wild about cities and most things about them. Although when mine were young the zoos and acquariums were good for a trip.

Anyway, more to come on this.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Depending on the route, Warm Springs GA is not that far off the Interstate. FDR's Little White House is there and I enjoyed the visit last summer when I was in Columbus, GA. The Infantry Museum is really great, but not sure for a 5 y/o girl (as noted already). For anyone with an interest in Military History it is a must see. Also, they hold AIT Graduations on the Parade Grounds right behind the museum most Friday mornings. A very impressive sight. The bleachers are almost always filled with family and friends, so unlike when I graduated from Infantry AIT those many, many , many moons ago at Tiger Land, Ft. Polk, LA.

da6d

User Tag List