Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Target controversy

Site Supporter
    These targets are simply designed to help officers understand that they don't know what their imminent lethal threat may look like. A good firearms instructor would preface training with these targets by telling them that the scene depicted could very well be innocent, however in this instance the nice lady with the kid in one hand and gun in the other has told you in a loud voice she is taking the kid to sacrifice on an alter of fire and her finger is even now tightening on the trigger to shoot you because you are in her way. " 2 body 1 head. Ready. Up!" Or whatever range command, whistle, turning target you use. Obviously it is a deadly threat and should be taken care of in the appropriate manner.

Now, the best way to handle these incidents is through role play in force on force situations, except........Gramms who has a tumor and the voices in her head are telling her to kill the police doesn't look like Gramms in force on force training..........she looks like Darth Vader, as does everyone else because of the protective gear. Role playing with Gramms, but without projectile throwers leads officers to not take it as seriously and you are back to will they actually pull the trigger when they need to or will they break down because they aren't prepared?

I would be fully prepared to go into court and answer for that target with the mother and child because we have had a shooting where a mother whose parental rights had been suspended due to drugs and mental instability took her own child hostage and then shot at the police when they were trying to throw a phone in her window to negotiate with her.

Good trainers will use the targets to good effect. Bad trainers will do bad things regardless of what targets you give them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My complaints with the targets are twofold:

1) The name, "No More Hesitation", which then ties into...

2) The perhaps not-too-well-thought-out photo subjects and settings: The calm-looking woman holding the hand of a very non-distressed looking child next to a swing set; is she the suspect or the complainant in the DV 911 call? Smiling little Johnny on the playground. The latter especially is not the kind of target that is going to play well when held up in front of a civil jury should, God forbid, some cap gun wielding tyke get burned down by "ladies and gentleman of the jury, an officer who has been trained, conditioned even, to have, and I quote, 'no more hesitation'."

Tinfoil beanie nonsense from Glenn Beck aside, this is the angle that worries me.
    I have to agree with much of what you wrote. The idea has merit, the presentation and delivery need a lot of work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    I have to agree with much of what you wrote. The idea has merit, the presentation and delivery need a lot of work.
    I have to agree with tpd223 on his reply to Tamara above. The marketing of the targets is a bonafide disaster in progress. I should have included that in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    My complaints with the targets are twofold:

1) The name, "No More Hesitation", which then ties into...

2) The perhaps not-too-well-thought-out photo subjects and settings: The calm-looking woman holding the hand of a very non-distressed looking child next to a swing set; is she the suspect or the complainant in the DV 911 call? Smiling little Johnny on the playground. The latter especially is not the kind of target that is going to play well when held up in front of a civil jury should, God forbid, some cap gun wielding tyke get burned down by "ladies and gentleman of the jury, an officer who has been trained, conditioned even, to have, and I quote, 'no more hesitation'."

Tinfoil beanie nonsense from Glenn Beck aside, this is the angle that worries me.
    I cant disagree with any of that other than to say that the trainer supervising the evolution is much more responsible for providing the context of the scenario than the target is. I find the expressions on the targets to be incongruous but I dont suppose they will all be snarling with fangs bared either. I bet that psycho Jodi Arias did what she did within an expression that could have ranged between mild interest to a wane smile...perhaps even no visible emotion whatever.

User Tag List