Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By All Means, Leave.

By All Means, Leave.

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    God, I love this state.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Freaking awesome.

I wish we had more legislators like him. It does suck that the bill was basically killed though.

With a name like "Hans Hunt" he basically has to b awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Audette Fulbright
    Ample evidence has shown that schools and guns do not mix, and in particular, guns in the hands of amateurs/non-professionals is extremely dangerous, especially in any highly-charged situation. to expose our children to greater risk in their schools by encouraging more guns on campuses is something that we cannot allow.
    Ample evidence? I believe if someone who was hired to protect the school directly endangered the lives of the students, it would be front page news in this day and age. The premise of her statement is based on the presumption of everyone charged with protecting our schools as being "amateurs/non-professionals". Aside from the guy who left his gun in the bathroom, I've yet to hear of these events.

She is the minister at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Cheyenne: http://revaudettefulbright.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    Ample evidence? I believe if someone who was hired to protect the school directly endangered the lives of the students, it would be front page news in this day and age. The premise of her statement is based on the presumption of everyone charged with protecting our schools as being "amateurs/non-professionals". Aside from the guy who left his gun in the bathroom, I've yet to hear of these events.
    More projection on her part. The person in the mirror is incompetent, therefore everyone else is.

And she conveniently ignores the deterrent effect of the presence of potentially armed citizens.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    She is the minister at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Cheyenne: http://revaudettefulbright.com/
    UU "Safe Congregations": http://www.uua.org/safe/index.shtml
    UU "Take Action to Prevent Gun Violence": http://www.uua.org/liberty/guns/index.shtml

I know several UUs through various human services and non-profit organizations. They are...unique. There is one UU I call friend. She has an interesting life story and is a wonderful person. There is little we agree on, except her closet-gun-owning preference for the Glock 19.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Every day, my HOMELAND of Wyoming beacons me and my family back.

The funny thing about our Unitarian Minister's comment that guns and schools don't mix is that it frankly does not mesh with Wyoming Culture (not that this transplant "carpet bagger" would know). As a High School student at Laramie High in the late 80s, you could go out into the Faculty and Student parking lot and see a rifle or shotgun in the gun rack on pretty much any given day, not to mention hunting season or the pistols that sat in the glove boxes. Plenty of fist fights in that parking lot after school (in fact I found myself in one of them), but never even a knife was drawn let alone gun.

During college at the University of Wyoming, I would shoot almost daily at the indoor range that ROTC shared with the rifle team, that was located basement of the school gymnasium. The only shooting to ever take place on that campus while I was living in Laramie was some dirt bag gang banger from Cheyenne who decided to pay a "visit" to an old friend. Had NOTHING to do with campus life.

And with that, my beloved Shiner Bock avatar will change to my college mascot!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 02-24-2013 at 05:55 PM.

User Tag List