Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 38spl standard pressure 148 WC

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    You'd be surprised with properly champhered chambers and a well maintained Safariland comp I speed loader, with a little practice it becomes fairly smooth & routine.

Back in the day that's all we shot in PPC. The faster you reloaded the gun the more time you had to pull the trigger, so you worked to keep your reloads as quick as possible.
    Does your issue revolver have chamfered holes? You'll have to show me when we shoot again. I have a bunch of 148 wadcutters that BaiHu gifted me a while back.

I adore the stepped charge holes on my 19-4 so I don't think I'd want to chamfer it, but I've been itching for a while to get another J-frame. After having owned a bunch of small revolvers, I feel like there's a hole in my soul without one. Maybe I'll get one and chamfer it.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Chamfering the chambers really does help. It's still not ideal with WCs, but it's significantly better than before I had them done.

.38 SP WC perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame--adequate penetration is NOT an issue; for example, see the Win 148 gr LWC noted below:

VEL = 657 f/s, PEN = 20"+, RD = 0.36", RL = 0.64", RW = 147.4 gr

When we carried WC's in the J-frames, the reloads were usually a JHP.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    .38 SP WC perform exactly the same in both bare and 4 layer denim covered gel when fired from a 2" J-frame--adequate penetration is NOT an issue; for example, see the Win 148 gr LWC noted below:

VEL = 657 f/s, PEN = 20"+, RD = 0.36", RL = 0.64", RW = 147.4 gr

Thanks Doctor!

You are the man!

I did find geltesting over at brassfetchers using BB 150gr WC

I dont care for that load myself its loaded hotter and looks to have a rounded edge?

Ill stick with just the standard 148WC from federal,Win or Rem and use JHP for reload.

But have been told by others the 148WC wont have enough penetration
    That comes in part from the old days of reloaded ammo. Often the 148 WC was downloaded to ridiculously low levels. I remember having to occassionally pull bullets out of a couple of layers of cardboard because they didn't go all the way through. I don't think any of the standard factory loads have that problem.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    That comes in part from the old days of reloaded ammo. Often the 148 WC was downloaded to ridiculously low levels. I remember having to occassionally pull bullets out of a couple of layers of cardboard because they didn't go all the way through. I don't think any of the standard factory loads have that problem.
    For my reloads
    I use 2.7gr of bullseye and a 148gr HBWC. I dont have a chrony so dont know the velocity of this load .

From what I gather the factory win,fed,rem is around 700FPS out of a 4inch barrel.

User Tag List