Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got my slide and barrel refinished by CCR

Got my slide and barrel refinished by CCR

I received my slide and barrel back from CCR on Friday. I got their CPII (Electroless Nickel / Boron Nitride) plating on my slide and barrel. They advertise on the beretta forum. That's how I heard about them.

I stripped my slide and barrel and sent it to them almost three weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the results. This gun has a little over 10k rounds through it and ultimately, I wanted something that looked better and was more durable than the spray paint bruniton finish from the factory. I used to own an Elite 2 and was partial to the two-tone look.

I decided to go with CCR's CPII rather than Robar's NP3 for several reasons.

1. The Boron in the CPII is more durable than the Teflon in the NP3.
    2. CCR was less expensive than Robar.
    3. The turnaround time was faster (however, it turned out to be almost as long).

Here are some pics:

First the bare slide and barrel. Everything is plated, even the firing pin channel. Of course the chamber and bore isn't plated.

Notice the rough machining marks in the firing pin channel. Nothing you can really do about that. CCR does a good job at prepping the slide, but once you remove the bruniton finish, the rough machining really shows up. The outside of the slide is really smooth.

The barrel looks good. The chop and re-crown that I had Josh at AGW do looks fantastic.

I think CCR polished the feed ramp for me. It's mirror smooth.

Continued below...

Here it is all put together.

Continued below...

Of course I couldn't wait to go out and shoot it, so I loaded up 200 rounds and sure enough, it ran flawlessly (just like the previous 10k rounds before it).

It's nice to see it dirty.

After 200 rounds and about 75 holster presentations, the only wear is some shiny spots where the barrel contacts the slide.

It's basically being polished where there is metal-to-metal contact. I'm going to be running this gun hard over the next few months, so It will be interesting to see how the finish holds up.

I'm very happy with it. I feel like I'm shooting an Elite 2 again. The only thing this gun needs now is a flared mag well and it would be perfect.

Beretta 92A1:
    Cut to 4.7" and re-crowned barrel by Josh at AGW
    AGW Speed-bump trigger
    AGW Low profile custom carry safety /decock lever.
    Steve Bedair stainless guide rod.
    E2 extended mag catch.
    E2 skeletonized hammer and D spring.
    Aluminum flush hammer spring cap and dog bone pin
    Dawson Fiber Optic front and Novak Custom rear sight. (.270 high and .155 wide).
    Custom (by me) reshaped and stippled vertec grips.
    CCR CPII plated slide and barrel.
    Trigger job (by me).

I'm real happy with it. I'm thinking about setting up my other two A1's just like it.
    God Bless,
    David

Shot another 200 rounds today. Finish is looking good.

Here is a short video of some of the use/wear it received today. Press-out drills at 25 yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGr6jd34rl4

God Bless,
    David
    Last edited by David B.; 02-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Looks great!

David,

What did you get it recrowned for?

The guy who did it didn't chip it, did he? In your second photo of the crown (the full frontal photo) it looks like the crown is chipped on the land closest to 3 O'Clock. It shows up in the other photos as well, but is most noticeable in that photo. It really caught my eye.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

No, Josh did not chip it. Here is a photo taken right after the work was done.

I also noticed that blemish in the photo you mentioned, but it was after I had already shot the gun. I cleaned it off and don't see anything now.

I originally had the barrel cut down and re-crowned for a couple reasons.

1. I just like the way a 4.7" barrel looks.
    2. The crown Josh did offers a little more protection than the factory crown, but really, I just like the way it looks.

God bless,
    David

Site Supporter
    Looks great! I've been toying with the idea of sending off a 226 (that I don't own yet).

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Looks great! I've been toying with the idea of sending off a 226 (that I don't own yet).
    I've never had a finish like this done before. I've seen lots of pictures online over the years, but never tried it personally. I wanted something that would stand up to everyday use and I've always liked the two-tone look from my Elite 2 days.

CCR advertised on the Beretta forum with a pretty decent price. With shipping (both ways), it came out to be $130.00 for the slide and barrel. Turnaround time (including shipping) was supposed to be just less than two weeks, but it ended up being just under three.

So far I'm happy with it. It doesn’t have many rounds through it yet with this finish so the jury is still out, however, my initial impression is positive. No fitment issues and as long as it doesn’t flake, it will be good to go.

One thing I like about this stainless look is that the wear is less noticeable because it's basically the same color, just a little shinier.

God Bless,
    David

I had them do the Slide on my P220 - it seems to hold up very well.

User Tag List