Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Comp or Tactical Training

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    Yea I get it, scan and assess, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. All that range mantra has been drilled into me. I pretty much did 9 straight months of scan and assess on top of an MAT-V in AFG, think I got it down.

My point with the whole slow corner pie and chest retention position and the confused look around is, if you know that's the correct thing to do in a no shit fight, then do it in a no shit fight. Don't tell me it's super ingrained in your subconscious and that it's impossible for you not to do it during or after a COF. If you don't have the mental ability to discern between a game and no shit fightin' practice or for real no shit fightin' that's fine, I'm going to make fun of you a little bit.

For someone who's "switched on" it should be fairly simple to switch off for half a day and enjoy the match, then switch back on when you gas up the heater before the trip home.
    I like you, can we be friends?
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Absolutely dookie.

Todd I appreciate what you wrote and I think it's a great analogy, thanks.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go.
    WIN
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    I like you, can we be friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21
    Absolutely dookie.
    Oh, get a room, y'all!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Shortly after the Porsche class, my feeling was that the BSR class had far more practical value. It was, essentially, a "tactics" class. I already knew how to drive, and the Evasive Driving program taught me when, where, and how to utilize those skills.

Now, eighteen months later, I realize that the Porsche class had a much bigger impact on my driving ability than I first thought. Learning the technical aspects of driving the car at my limit and learning how to push those limits means my "fundamentals" improved. That, in turn, pushes the level at which I can operate the car subconsciously... meaning that I can make the car do more while my brain is working on the evasion/tactics stuff.
    Would it be fair to say that had you taken the Porsche class first, you might have gotten more out of the BSR course?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

And to piggy back of the previous question Todd, which class do you think had more of an immediate impact on your day to day driving abilities?

Regarding Paul Howe's article, I think it's important to keep in mind that his decisions support his needs. At the same time each of us needs to make an assessment of what would be optimal for us and our needs. Do shooting techniques that support the use of a gas mask need to be prioritized for somebody who will never wear a gas mask? The same thing goes for other support equipment like body armor, or your operating environment, which for most of us is "where I live."
    I am a part of Defensive Response Training out of Colorado. We host ShivWorks and Progressive FORCE Concepts classes and teach the Options for Personal Security and DRT branded classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    (Yeah, yeah, I could just unload and reload my carry piece, but I don't like all that unnecessary administrative coonfingering. That's when *BANG!*s happen. Since every time I cycle a loaded round through the action of a repeater there is a small-but-non-zero chance of a *BANG!*, I try to minimize how often I need to do that.)
    Just get a second, identical gun. Works for me. Speaking of which, I need to go practice. What am I doing here? I'M WASTING MY DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Just get a second, identical gun. Works for me. Speaking of which, I need to go practice. What am I doing here? I'M WASTING MY DAY.
    And a third for a 22 conversion and a 4th because they look nice.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Just get a second, identical gun. Works for me.
    Did that, actually, but it's currently wearing a Deltapoint for that T&E stuff like you gunblogger media whores do.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

My personal opinion is that competition helps to develop fundamental skill as it pushes you to become faster, more accurate and drives you to perform better. Where tactical orientated classes help to develop the application and or deployment of those skills, understanding the dynamics of TTP’s, how to apply them in different situations and developing an understanding of the psychology involved.

Tactical vs Compeitive Trainer? I think it’s a “45acp vs 9mm” or “AK47 vs AR15” argument. Pick the appropriate school for the desired knowledge. If you want learn how to get fast and accurate, look at a competition trainer. If you want to learn how to use TTP’s/understand how to deploy a firearm, look at a tactical trainer. If you are smart, you will look for a trainer who brings both competition and tactical skills to the table.

$0.02

User Tag List