Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 2012 Deployment

My 2012 Deployment

I had a couple of PMs with Serious student about the discussion going on in "Drone pilot medal to outrank Bronze Star..." Anyway he recognized my name from M4C and a thred I started there with "Pics From the Office." I promised him more pics this time from my 2012 deployment. The first pic was taken from a fellow squadron member of a night takeoff. The second is some random one another squadron member passed along, and the third is of yours truly. I'll try and find some more pics for you guys. Enjoy!

I have no idea about aircraft, other than I much prefer a c17 over a c130 when flying from BAF to Kuwait, what kind of airplane is that? Mission, use, capabilities. What ever you can share obviously. Cool pics thanks for sharing

Semi-serious/semi-related - What is it with pilots and mustaches? When I was in AFG in 10-11 every pilot was rocking a stache
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

It's a B-1 or BONE. Used to be a nuclear only bomber, but now it's conventional only. We have a bunch of different mission sets/capabilities, but our primary role in this current conflict is close air support for the guys on the ground. Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up if you want more info.

As for the mustache, look up Robin Olds... ultimate bad ass. Unfortunately, the wife made me shave it when I got home.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Love to watch you guys in the pattern every time I fly my Wheezing Brazilian Sh*t Bag up to KRAP!

You have one hell of a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    It's a B-1 or BONE. Used to be a nuclear only bomber, but now it's conventional only. We have a bunch of different mission sets/capabilities, but our primary role in this current conflict is close air support for the guys on the ground. Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up if you want more info.

As for the mustache, look up Robin Olds... ultimate bad ass. Unfortunately, the wife made me shave it when I got home.
    And I bet the guys on the ground get the warm fuzzies every time the know your there! Thanks for keeping the men on the ground safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    AKA: SkyLine1

Woot! Thanks for showing off the pics, I do love to see shots like that. Pretty cool, rocking the Colt hat.

And I have a copy of "Fighter Pilot", the biography of Robin Olds. It's a interesting book, and worth reading for leadership lessons, along with John Boyd's books. Plus, just reading about how he went from flying in WWII to Vietnam, and all those changes was fascinating.

We used to have fun watching the B-1's practice out of Abilene, Texas. Sometimes you guys would really hustle a bunch of aircraft off, one after another. You would see people pull over on the side of I-20 to get out and watch.

Good times.

Like Skyline1 said, thanks for all you do.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    You know, my inner airplane nerd used to be pretty lukewarm on the BONE, cracking the old joke about "What do you get when you have B-1, B-2, and B-52? Two bingo numbers and a strategic bomber! Hardehar!" and suchlike...

And then sometime back in '01, when such things were still very new and novel and YouTube hadn't been invented, one of the guys on TheFiringLine posted a link to a vid his kid had sent him of B-1s doing cool B-1 $#!+, all set to the tune of "Bodies" by Drowning Pool*.

That was good PR work from whatever kid in the squadron did that. Been a huge fan of the BONE ever since. Thank you for your service, Timbonez.

*Dude, I just realized that Drowning Pool's first album is exactly as old as Welcome To My Nightmare was when I was a senior in high school. I am not ready to hear the muzak version of "Bodies" in an elevator.
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-18-2013 at 06:22 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    And I have a copy of "Fighter Pilot", the biography of Robin Olds.
    I have sad news on that front.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Saw a couple of B-1s on the ramp at a nice sandy air base. Never got to see one take off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokr21 View Post
    I have no idea about aircraft, other than I much prefer a c17 over a c130 when flying from BAF to Kuwait
    Amen to that.

Timbonez thanks for your service. Great pics.

User Tag List