Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Pants.

Site Supporter
    If anyone is interested, Duluth is running a special on their fire hose work pants: 20% off and free shipping for purchases over $50. Use code MARCH50 at checkout. Offer good through March 20th according to the fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I first got a pair of Carhartts (double-front, not the hippy-dippy kind... ) several years ago, and have worn Carhartts almost exclusively since then.

The cut fits me better than any other pants that I've worn, and the heavy cloth used has saved me from all kinds of injuries to my legs that probably would have ripped through lighter cloth.

I'm a real cheapskate, but I'll buy a pair of Carhartts at $50 a pair, before I'll wear a free pair of anything-else.

As far as the comments that I read regarding wearing heavy pants in various climates - I spent the last year in Wyoming, where it got really, really hot in the summer. I had no issue with excessive over-heating while wearing Carhartts. I've lived for most of my life in fairly cold wet climates though, and I find that the 12oz duck fabric is a very good compromise for all around use, in temperatures from 50+ degrees.

Of course, whats the point of this post without a picture of Carhartts, right?

At 14,200 feet!

Good looking A-2 jacket. And the view ain't so bad, neither.

I look for pants available in extended inseam lengths (>36"), finished or unfinished, and those that might be a generous 36". I'm familiar with the wear and fit of the 5.11s, Woolrich, Vertx, Carhartt, Cabelas. How are the lengths and true sizing of the others you all mention?
    Last edited by ST911; 03-14-2013 at 11:07 PM.

I *wish* it was an A2.... But then again, it was a gift so I can't complain....

Yes, the view was pretty good. That photo doesn't do the place justice! I'm ashamed at the horrible quality of that picture, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmaster03 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cmaster03 View Post
    I would say my duluth pants run very true to dockers khaki slacks.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Update:

I went with a pair of Kuhl Rydr pants. I found a coupon online and got them for $60 with free shipping from CampSaver.com

So far i'm really happy with them. I originally ordered a 35x32 because I have a pair of 34x32 and 36x32 Dickies that are both comfortable. I had to exchange(for free!) for a 34x30.

So far I'm very happy. I did a trail-run in them while carrying a my Glock 19 in a JM Kydex AIWB. By far the most secure yet free setup I've ever used. Same freedom of movement as shorts with the support and security of a good pair of pants. Far better fit than any of my jeans or Dickies.

My only complaint is that whatever tree-hugging dye they use bleeds quickly(and its by design.... they talk about your pants taking on an "authentic" look on their website). So far its not a deal breaker and I'm considering buying another pair in a lighter color. I got the dark khaki and its dark. Looks nearly like OD green in some light.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Very interesting!

Well, I broke a different way...my intention was to buy a pair of Kuhl Rydrs, exactly as the poster above.

But what happened to me was that I tried on a bunch of them, liked them, and began to fear that the pants would bleed like crazy, and that every crease and fold would lighten and they would look very "outdoorsy". Now I feel that instinct was correct.

Anyway that's fine and all, but I've been trying to get away from anything too casual looking. I wanted something a little more presentable than any of my cargo pants, say. Essentially, I wanted something I could go out to dinner in at a not too fancy restaurant, that would also give me a fair degree of athletic movement if necessary.

So what I ended up with is a solution that I am currently pretty pleased with: the Mountain Hardware Passenger pant in khaki.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men'...efault,pd.html

Dressier than regular jeans, with a sort of twill-y texture...almost like a slight herringbone. Very subtle. But the texture is the result of spandex fibres woven in with the cotton. They're extremely stretchy! It's like those jeans Chuck Norris was selling back when plastic pistols were a crazy euro-future nightmare. But you would never guess it to look at them. They just look like nice pants. A bit stylish, a bit dressy, a bit hip. Nobody will think you're a gun guy, that's for sure.

One word of warning: I usually wear 34s...in these 34s would have allowed me to IWB a Glock 21. On each hip. I got a 32 and they're perfect. Could still probably get a gun in AIWB pretty easily. Might try a 1911 AIWB later on tonight. Definitely not enough space for a glock in an Atomic Dog at 4 o'clock, though.

Anyway could be worth a look for anyone trying to get away from the whole 5.11 fest.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I could wear those to work and no one would notice how tactical I was.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I could wear those to work and no one would notice how tactical I was.
    Then what's the point?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Then what's the point?
    Haven't you heard? Grey man is the new tactical. Tactical is just the derivative of grey man. It's complex stuff.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List