Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proposed qualification course

proposed qualification course

http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2013...cation-course/

File downloads and information at the link

Last edited by jlw; 02-16-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Google links weren't working

I am having trouble opening the links. Any chance you can post the COF?
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    I am having trouble opening the links. Any chance you can post the COF?
    I'll upload them somewhere else to see if it works better.

The Google links weren't working for some folks; so, I uploaded the files to my blog for downloading.

To update things:

A group of our instructors shot the course today. The average times on their first runs were in the high 50s. They shot it a second time and knocked five or so seconds each off of their times.

Some suggestions they made:

- toughen the time penalties for "points down" to give accuracy more emphasis than it is currently.
    - incorporated a side-step on the draw on each of the failure drills at the seven to emphasize stepping off line of the threat
    - using the barricade at the 15 as well to force both high and low cover

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    To update things:

A group of our instructors shot the course today. The average times on their first runs were in the high 50s. They shot it a second time and knocked five or so seconds each off of their times.

Some suggestions they made:

- toughen the time penalties for "points down" to give accuracy more emphasis than it is currently.
    - incorporated a side-step on the draw on each of the failure drills at the seven to emphasize stepping off line of the threat
    - using the barricade at the 15 as well to force both high and low cover
    Thanks for posting this.

From looking at the course, I doubt I'll end up thinking the accuracy penalty needs to be increased from where it is now. You are already on the same punitive level as the GSSF scoring system, which is to say twice as harsh as IDPA's scoring system. Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot it soon.

Where, relative to the cover, is the shooter located on the 25 yard strings?

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Thanks for posting this.

From looking at the course, I doubt I'll end up thinking the accuracy penalty needs to be increased from where it is now. You are already on the same punitive level as the GSSF scoring system, which is to say twice as harsh as IDPA's scoring system. Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot it soon.

Where, relative to the cover, is the shooter located on the 25 yard strings?
    I'm using the IDPA definition for cover although we teach not to stick the gun out past cover like so many IDPAers do.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I'm using the IDPA definition for cover although we teach not to stick the gun out past cover like so many IDPAers do.
    Sorry jlw, I wasn't clear. My question is about this part of the description of the 25 yard string: "Draw and move to cover..."

If you move to cover, where did you start?

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Sorry jlw, I wasn't clear. My question is about this part of the description of the 25 yard string: "Draw and move to cover..."

If you move to cover, where did you start?
    I usually take my shooting position and then take a side step outside of cover. When the string starts, I just take that side step back. All that is required is to be outside of cover so that the shooter has to move to a firing position.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Gotcha, thanks!

User Tag List