Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Not Seeing The Humor

The coward who drew this wouldn't hesitate to hide behind the 1st Amendment, yet is most likely an ardent supporter of gun control.

I'd also wager he likes to hide behind his keyboard to be an Internet badass, and wouldn't have the stones to say this in person to anyone who knew/served with CK.

He's beneath contempt.

I see the humor.
    It's not something that I would laugh at, but im not going to fake outrage at it either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    OK, Full disclosure here. I work for a newspaper. I'm in IT now, but I was hired, lo so many years ago, as a graphic artist and editorial cartoonist.
    While I would be outraged if the government tried to shut down this particular cartoon, I encourage the public to express their anger over it. The first amendment doesn't only apply to editorial cartoonists, but to each and every American citizen. What is more, I'll pass on a little insider information. Contact the advertisers with copies going to the paper for best results.
    You, as readers, have just as much legal and ethical right to express your opinion about the cartoon as the artist does express his opinion with the cartoon.
    I took some heat for some of my cartoons back in the day. As I believed in what I was saying, I stood my ground. I did several cartoons that were never published because the editorial staff didn't believe I was on solid ground with my subject. In retrospect, they were probably right on many of them.
    Editorial cartoonists are not, and should not be, immune from criticism. If they believe strongly enough to accept the consequences of the statements they make, then I can respect them even as I disagree with them. The subject matter is this "cartoon" doesn't lead me to expect that sort of character from this artist.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 02-18-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: changed immune to criticism, to from criticism

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I see the humor.
    It's not something that I would laugh at, but im not going to fake outrage at it either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm there with ya.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I just hope that this guy gets a knock on the door one day and opens it to see 10 seals on his front porch asking for an explanation. No violence mind you. Just make the POS wet his pants.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    I just hope that this guy gets a knock on the door one day and opens it to see 10 seals on his front porch asking for an explanation. No violence mind you. Just make the POS wet his pants.
    Now that would be funny right there. Video or it didn't happen.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

This quote comes to mind.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt - 1910
    "Take the message to Garcia."

I don't see it as an attack on Chris Kyle. It's more of a rebuttal to the blowhards who keep parroting the "...good man with a gun" line while describing how they will boldly save the sheeple from any and all threats.

Yes, a good man with a gun can stop a bad man with a gun -- but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Good men die. Folks who are serious about self-defense know that, but too many people want snappy sound bites instead of a serious discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I don't see it as an attack on Chris Kyle. It's more of a rebuttal to the blowhards who keep parroting the "...good man with a gun" line while describing how they will boldly save the sheeple from any and all threats.

Yes, a good man with a gun can stop a bad man with a gun -- but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. Good men die. Folks who are serious about self-defense know that, but too many people want snappy sound bites instead of a serious discussion.
    More subversively, it's a jab at the entire concept of self defense, and it doesn't mind taking a crap on a decorated warrior in the process. Not only does it sneer at the notion that individuals are capable of defending themselves against with guns against gun, it implies that there was no good man with a gun present - Chris Kyle included. It's easy to see it as a smear on his character directly.

That said, it's a low blow, but nothing unexpected. I'm not shocked enough to be truly outraged.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    More subversively, it's a jab at the entire concept of self defense, and it doesn't mind taking a crap on a decorated warrior in the process. Not only does it sneer at the notion that individuals are capable of defending themselves against with guns against gun, it implies that there was no good man with a gun present - Chris Kyle included. It's easy to see it as a smear on his character directly.

That said, it's a low blow, but nothing unexpected. I'm not shocked enough to be truly outraged.
    Outrage is difficult to come by because this is what we expect from, as Atticus Finch put it, "...minds of their caliber."
    3/15/2016

User Tag List