Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great new espionage series

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm lukewarm on both The Americans and this season of Justified.
    I was thinking the same thing about Justified and was wondering i why until the end of this week's episode when Shelby asks Rayland when was the last time he shot someone.

The Americans has a lot of potential.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 02-15-2013 at 12:34 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    New season of Southland kicked off this week as well. The opening episode wasn't as strong as I'd hoped, because they're playing the whole "PTSD veteran now a cop" storyline a little too hard already, but it's still a great show.
    I didn't realize Southland was back on.

Southland, The Walking Dead, The Americans, and Shameless tend to be some of my favorites. Californication used to be up there, but the storyline is sorta dragging on at this point...you can tell they're running out of ideas.

And, of course, who can forget Breaking Bad.

I find it funny how good the TV shows are today compared to movies. 99% of the movies that come out these days outright suck, but as long as you stay away from reality TV there's lots of TV shows that have really great plots, character development and acting.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-15-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I didn't realize Southland was back on.

Southland, The Walking Dead, The Americans, and Shameless tend to be some of my favorites. Californication used to be up there, but the storyline is sorta dragging on at this point...you can tell they're running out of ideas.

And, of course, who can forget Breaking Bad.

I fund it funny how good the TV shows are today compared to movies. 99% of the movies that come out these days outright suck, but as long as you stay away from reality TV there's lots of TV shows that have really great plots, character development and acting.
    That's because 80% of the movies coming out nowadays are reboots/rehash/remakes. I've been really considering changing to Direct TV so I can get the Genie. Being able to record 5 shows vs. the 2 I can right now would be awesome. Especially since it'll be butt cold here for far longer than I would like.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

I've seen the first few episodes of the Americans... The trade-craft is really cool to see, even if it's most of it is outdated these days because of new technologies. But, the drama between the husband and wife makes it a little painful to watch at times. Hopefully there will be less of that as the FBI neighbor gets closer to figuring things out. And I think Granny is going to get them into all kinds of sticky situations.

Let me guess how it ends...... The Berlin Wall comes down, Communism in Eastern Europe crumbles, the CCCP dissolves & the KGB agents in this series go to work for the DNC?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'm lukewarm on both The Americans and this season of Justified.

Not sure I like the casual way they're writing new flaws for Raylan and the "mystery guy" storyline is not nearly as interesting as Mags Bennett or Quarles.

Don't get me wrong, Justified is still the best thing on TV.
    +1

I think Mags (Margo Martindale) is going to be on "The Americans" in the net couple of episodes.
    I like the show. I really like Keri Russell. I just have a hard time watching a show where the main characters are the bad guys. I find myself rooting for them when they need to be hung.

I was hoping Lindsey Salazar (Jenn Lyon) would be around for a few more episodes on Justified.

Lukewarm to "The Americans".

Everything stops for "Justified", and I don't like that I am not getting back to back viewings of the new episode each week and have to have it sandwiched around "The Americans".

I like "Southland" because it focuses a lot on patrol rather than so many shows that portray detectives as doing all of the work, but I have to change the channel whenever there is a scene with Sammy's ex-wife.

Love The Americans. Probably wouldn't be talking about spy stuff in my house though after an FBI agent broke in. Not the best trade craft.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I like "Southland" because it focuses a lot on patrol rather than so many shows that portray detectives as doing all of the work, but I have to change the channel whenever there is a scene with Sammy's ex-wife.
    I cannot stand her. Likely because I've known a few too many cop ex-wives just like her.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropkick View Post
    I've seen the first few episodes of the Americans... The trade-craft is really cool to see, even if it's most of it is outdated these days because of new technologies. But, the drama between the husband and wife makes it a little painful to watch at times. Hopefully there will be less of that as the FBI neighbor gets closer to figuring things out. And I think Granny is going to get them into all kinds of sticky situations.
    Just finished watching the latest episode today. So far, really liking this series. I've got a feeling that the FBI CI agent's.......improprieties will come back to haunt him.... Just a feeling.

User Tag List