Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado:(

Just to be clear - there's no prohibition on the importation of standard cap mags, right? The way I read the bill, I could move to CO with my standard G17 mags, no problem, as long as I bought those mags before July 1 and maintained "continuous possession" of them. Is that right?

I don't want to find somewhere else to move. But if CO turns into CA, then I may as well go where there are mountains and ocean...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

That is how I read the bill so far. However, I haven't seen modifications to the bill, and it is still in process, requiring further House and Senate action.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Just to be clear - there's no prohibition on the importation of standard cap mags, right? The way I read the bill, I could move to CO with my standard G17 mags, no problem, as long as I bought those mags before July 1 and maintained "continuous possession" of them. Is that right?

I don't want to find somewhere else to move. But if CO turns into CA, then I may as well go where there are mountains and ocean...
    If you're going to live somewhere, might as well be where you're not planning on having your freedom constantly encroached upon. Wyoming, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Montana, Idaho... lots of better choices out there than to be in a slow decline to a subject, if it's going to be a long term move.

Major update

Hey all,

Today I met with CO State House Rep Saine. Here are the bullet points of what she had to say:

- House situation does not look good. Most likely, all 4 will pass (final vote to happen Monday)

- Bills will pass CO Senate w/ 70% liberal lean

- Gov will likely sign into law the mag ban and universal background checks, but is speculated to veto CCW ban and $10 b/g check cost.

-Emailing House and Senate now probably will do nothing

-EMAILING GOVERNER REGARDING VETO OF ALL 4 BILLS MOST IMPORTANT THING NOW

Since it appears as though the House and Senate are a lost cause, emailing the Gov is about the only thing left.

Gov Hickenlooper's email (still needing confirmation on accuracy):

Governor.hickenlooper@state.co.us

My bet is that the gov's safe plan is to sign/pass the ones he really wanted (mag ban, universal checks), and veto the ones that were just icing on the cake (CCW ban on colleges, 10$ b/g tax) to look like the hero to all. Not all the liberals would hate him because he would have passed what they were all clamoring for, and at least some of the conservatives won't hate him because he was 'rational' enough to strike down two of the measures. Its actually brilliant from a political perspective, but people who are educated enough should recognize it as the standard/typical 'aim so high that it gets reduced down to exactly what you wanted anyway' scheme. Isn't there some used car salesman tactic like that?

In any case, we won't go without a fight. If it is passed, it will be passed around a mountain of opposition that cannot be denied.

To be honest, the most dangerous one is the CCW ban on college campuses. If that were to pass, it would mean that legal, CCW permit holders would be barred from exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. The real threat there is that more CCW holders would not want to end their entire life path if caught and so would probably not carry, which would be a sheepfest for a mass shooter.

The mag ban and the universal background check are both a complete joke and can/will be skirted fairly easily, except for shotguns with a tube mag over 8 rounds.

We also talked about how now is the time to start finding the next set of upcoming reps to support and try to win back the legislature at the next round of elections. Still though, I see an easy veto from the gov if a 'recall' package comes around eventually. Colorado would really need to clear house to get it done.

So please, if you get a chance, email the governor and asking to VETO HB-1224, HB-1226, HB-1228 and HB-1229. Our biggest threat right now is this whole thing turning moderate enough that everybody just lives with the eventual outcome. To me, any of it is completely unacceptable since under any single one we all become the target for what is essentially the crimes of 2 people.

Email email email!!!

Thanks all.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Having read the proposed legislation, it raises more questions than it answers. More than 15 round magazines need to be in your possession as of the effective date (sometime this summer). Since most magazines have no date or number, not sure how you can identify which magazine, of your many, was a pre-July 2013 magazine versus an otherwise undated, identically looking magazine? Someone traveling thru the state is supposed to know which magazines are legal, and which not, looking at an unmarked magazine?
    Your magazines will be obviously pre-ban and legal if you are over thirty, white, clean cut, no priors, valid tags and insurance, and sober. (And they're not trying to get you for something else at the time, in which case it will be used as a "piling on" charge by the prosecutor.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Well, I blogged about it but the hypocrisy exhibited by CO's politicians regarding Magpul's promise to leave CO if this legislation passes is staggering. Basically, they want to ban in state, standard capacity mags for the children but would like Magpul to stay anyways, pretty please.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well, I blogged about it but the hypocrisy exhibited by CO's politicians regarding Magpul's promise to leave CO if this legislation passes is staggering. Basically, they want to ban in state, standard capacity mags for the children but would like Magpul to stay anyways, pretty please.

No doubt.

Gov. Hickenlooper also has a facebook page to leave comments at:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHickenlooper

That email addy for the gov above caused a bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spr1 View Post
    That email addy for the gov above caused a bounce back.
    I used the website's form:

http://www.colorado.gov/govhdir/requ...inion-leg.html

User Tag List