Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.5" group at 1000 yards with a pistol

7.5" group at 1000 yards with a pistol

I was browsing around on the web and came across this. Sure, it isn't exactly something you could easily conceal AIWB but still an impressive display of accuracy.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I don't see a pistol - I see a rifle with a really strange, flat, heavy stock.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Benchrest is competition reloading.

Benchresters are strange, strange dudes. I knew one whose day job was using his 20-pound brain out at ORNL, who carried his best groups around in his wallet, laminated. If you weren't careful, he'd pull them out and show them to you like they were pictures of his grandkids.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Uh, I was an enthusiastic benchrest shooter.

And while that is somewhat true, wind compensation makes or breaks you. My first year on the line, I was amazed at the fact that there was so much commonality in the loads used. 3 or 4 bullets, if you include the odd-ball 22 cal guy (was me... ). VV powder everywhere.

Big arguments over whether the PPC or BR case was more accurate, with general consensus that it didn't matter, the industry supported the PPC.

Then I got into 'yote, 'chuck, and 'dog hunting and didn't worry so much about loading ammunition on stage at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Uh, I was an enthusiastic benchrest shooter.
    This is my shocked face.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    This is my shocked face.
    I just looked up Bill's profile, haha!

Bill,

How varied were the cleaning rituals and do you think it made a difference? How many rounds before you threw away a barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Bill,

How varied were the cleaning rituals and do you think it made a difference? How many rounds before you threw away a barrel?
    *Ignoring the red-headed peanut gallery*

I had barrels that were competitive at over 3k, and one from a highly respected, highly sought after maker that /never/ shot acceptably (couldn't break the 3's for love or money). BR rounds aren't really tough on barrels, and most guys when they found a hummer, would set the chamber back a couple times before replacing the tube.

There is a very wide range of cleaning methods. Most, including me, believe that aggressive cleaning is detrimental. Personally, I push the powder fouling out with a brass brush soaked in regular Hoppes every 25 rounds. I never worried about copper fouling, and don't to this day. It, IMO, builds to a stable amount in the low spots, then no more change. Some guys though, would scrub and scrub and scrub.

I will use this as a good point to mention this - a rifle, anything short of a rail gun, that shoots in the 2s /reliably/ is a wicked nice rifle, with a damn good shooter touching the trigger. That, in my experience, doesn't happen off bipods laying in the grass. The best /I have personally witnessed/ was in the 5s. And that guy was a disturbingly committed prairie dog hunter with $5k+ in his rig. I mention this because of the picture in the link. Getting a rifle to shoot in the 2s or 3s typically involves $400 rests with talc dusted on them, 1oz Jewel triggers, poured concrete benches, and really nice custom fixed power scopes with fine reticles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    *Ignoring the red-headed peanut gallery*
    You know who's weirder than benchresters? Turkey shooters.

We had a serious big money paper-hunter once who'd bring his 37 into the store broken open with rubber bungs in the breech and muzzle so nobody could see into the custom bore in the one-off barrel. If he had to leave the gun, he'd only leave the receiver and take the barrel with him.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Bill,

I will take a shot at this question.

The answers depend on a lot of factors but it really comes down to the quality of the barrel. While I still believe in a break-in period to smooth things out, the cleaning regiment is not as important as it once was.

I was conversing with a guy this week who shoots 6.5x47 Lapua in long range tactical rifle competitions and he has not cleaned his gun in over 1000 rounds. His most recent outing produced a .269 MOA group at 607 yards. He has a Krieger barrel and said that he had to adjust for throat erosion during the first 900 rounds but has not had to touch it in the last 600.

Zak Smith, who writes a ton of good long range articles and is a solid long range shooter, is another one who rarely cleans his barrels.

Basically, unless your rifle and equipment are equal to a benchrest rig, there are too many other factors to worry about than cleaning.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List