Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado:(

Colorado:(

Hey guys,

I live in Colorado. As of today (Wednesday), 4 bills have made it though the House Judiciary Committee and will head next to the House Appropriations Committee and then onto the floor. I have heard (not completely verified) that these could make it onto the floor by Friday for a vote. It is not looking promising.

If anyone needs caught up to speed, here are the bills:

HB 1224: Bans the sale, transfer, or possession of magazines over 10 rounds (amended to '15'), and over 5 rounds for shotguns. The ban also states that this offense shall not apply to "a department, agency, or political subdivision of the State of Colorado" (actual language of the bill)

HB 1226: Bans concealed weapon permit holders from lawfully and legally carrying a firearm on every college and university campus in the state. (Rep Claire Levy [D-Boulder] : "Do we really want to give guns to binge-drinking college students?")

HB 1228: Forces anyone buying a firearm to pay for their own background check

HB 1229: Bans private sales on firearms; institutes a universal background check policy for Colorado. (The dangerous implication here is that there is no way to enforce this law unless a statewide mandatory gun registration program is enacted. That would be next.)

The two hearings were pretty eventful. The opposition to these bills was in the majority. It made no difference to the committee. Magpul was there. They added a clause in the mag ban that manufacturers can still manufacture the illegal products in-state (and therefore generate state revenue) but would be barred from selling to Colorado residents. Magpul has said regardless, if the ban passes they will move shop.

These are some dark days for Colorado. It is depressing, quite honestly. Still, myself along with many, many other Coloradans are not giving up and we are fighting. If you are from Colorado, please email and call our state reps as much as possible - their emails and voicemails are being completely inundated right now and I hear that aides are counting the 'No's' and the 'Yes's'. If you know of anyone from Colorado, please encourage them to write their state reps immediately about this legislation. It is go time.

I have been trying to get the word out to every person I can to email the state reps with a firm 'Vote NO'...but I'm not sure what else I can do at the current moment. Pray for us.

I'm sorry to hear this. I'm not a resident, but I'm planning to move there in a few months..... not if this stuff becomes law. I've written some key legislators to say as much.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Not all the states in flyover country are as solidly pro-2A as people think.

Notably, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin. Pennsylvania is getting a little shakier-looking, too, as the Philly 'burbs get more Jerseyfied. (I mention PA in the same breath as "flyover country" because everybody knows it's Philly on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle.)

If you want a general rule of thumb, though, pick a state that got Shall-Issue CCW in 2000 or earlier, and without lengthy and tedious battles in the legislature and courts.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Red, can you confirm whether 1224 was amended to grandfather existing magazines?

California fallout. Hopefully this virus won't spread beyond CO's borders into surrounding states.

I don't think most CA escapees would pick NE anyway. No mountains, no beautiful people. Just vast empty plains overrun with cows intermingled with endless cornfields and air that sometimes smells like cows.

It's not for everyone.

And we "shall issued" in '06. Finally beat the Omaha grammas.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Colorado was looking like the next stop on my lifes' journey.
    Regardless of whether this ignorance passes, we'll be looking at ID, WY, MT instead. (Western WA is also beautiful, but not if it's run by the coastal PC-Green-Tofu-Mafiosi.)
    NM has such unrealized potential, maybe it'll get its' act together before we're ready to make the move.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    NM has such unrealized potential, maybe it'll get its' act together before we're ready to make the move.
    New Mexico can't decide if it wants to be a hairy-chested cowboy or an art gallery owner in Taos. Sure is pretty, though.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Not all the states in flyover country are as solidly pro-2A as people think.

Notably, Colorado, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin. Pennsylvania is getting a little shakier-looking, too, as the Philly 'burbs get more Jerseyfied. (I mention PA in the same breath as "flyover country" because everybody knows it's Philly on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle.)

If you want a general rule of thumb, though, pick a state that got Shall-Issue CCW in 2000 or earlier, and without lengthy and tedious battles in the legislature and courts.
    Too true. If we could carve out a new southern border and make Philly part of New Jersey, life would be better. They would get all of the gun control and other social policies that they yearn for and we would be left alone out here in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Hey guys,
    ...snip

HB 1228: Forces anyone buying a firearm to pay for their own background check
    ...snip
    One more example to show that it's not about curbing violence, but about money, money, money.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Red, can you confirm whether 1224 was amended to grandfather existing magazines?
    Yes it has. There is also specific language placing the burden on the state to prove the magazines came into your possession after the ban. Its still stupid and unconstitutional but they did make that concession.

As I read it there is no exception carved out for service members who are forced to PCS to Colorado and have magazines purchased elsewhere after the ban. I guess I would have to leave them outside the state. Freaking ijits.

An iron curtain should decend around California and not allow the granola eaters out. They came out here to get their Rocky Mountain high and never left.

User Tag List