Page 98 of 375 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Question for my Rolex connoisseurs. How often do they change up their products? I'm really digging hard on the GMT II black/blue (aka "Batman"). But I'd rather wait for a variety of reasons. I just know my luck and don't to wait too long and miss out. Thanks!
    Rolex is kind of like Smith & Wesson: anything is possible, models don’t change often, and the most visible changes are usually cosmetic. That said, from a pure timepiece standpoint, Rolexes have consistently improved over the years. They’re more shock-resistant and durable in general, the bracelets are better, etc. Unfortunately, from an appearance standpoint, they’ve gotten beefier, shinier, less graceful, and generally more blinged-out as time has gone on—just compare a 1016 to the current Explorer or compare a 1675 GMT to the Batman and you’ll see what I mean.

If you like a particular model, chances are that it will be available for decades to come. You may not be able to buy a Batman GMT II from an authorized dealer 5 years from now, but plenty of collectors will have them for sale in near-new condition and prices won't be completely intolerable.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm_shooter View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love the analog gshocks but hate the way they're poorly backlit.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    Anybody have any opinion on the Seiko ssc293? I'm about to pick one up if I can't find a good reason not to. Can't really find any good reviews of it, and I don't know enough about watches to feel comfortable just buying it
    My Seiko is one of my favs. Not on the high end of my collection by any means, but it looks good, holds time well, comfortable, and performs as advertised.

Edited to add: Israeli Navy commandos and divers use Seiko's.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 06-07-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Trying to research my Seikos, I am puzzled by the fact they they are listed on the Seiko website by "caliber", not "model."
    Plus, my PX 7a28 watch is not listed at all.

Any experience having a watch cleaned/serviced? Seiko says to send my 30 year old 7a28 to Joisey for an estimate about what it would cost to clean and regulate it, and they'll get back to me. There's a place in Seattle that will do that, supposed to be fully equipped to re-pressurize it and everything. Gong into Seattle is not quite as bad as shipping the watch across the country, but...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I had to Google that. I wish I hadn't because that's a damn fine looking watch.
    A Batman or the black ceramic with the green hand will be my next watch, according to my wife. hqmilton.com is telling me otherwise, though

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Rolex is kind of like Smith & Wesson: anything is possible, models don’t change often, and the most visible changes are usually cosmetic. That said, from a pure timepiece standpoint, Rolexes have consistently improved over the years. They’re more shock-resistant and durable in general, the bracelets are better, etc. Unfortunately, from an appearance standpoint, they’ve gotten beefier, shinier, less graceful, and generally more blinged-out as time has gone on—just compare a 1016 to the current Explorer or compare a 1675 GMT to the Batman and you’ll see what I mean.

If you like a particular model, chances are that it will be available for decades to come. You may not be able to buy a Batman GMT II from an authorized dealer 5 years from now, but plenty of collectors will have them for sale in near-new condition and prices won't be completely intolerable.

Okie John
    Great info! Thanks! Always wanted my "beefy" watch to be the Breitling Chronomat (black eye blue - see a pattern? Lol!). Too many watches, too little money.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Great info! Thanks! Always wanted my "beefy" watch to be the Breitling Chronomat (black eye blue - see a pattern? Lol!). Too many watches, too little money.
    When it comes to a beefy watch, I'm all about the Sinn 103.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

A question for the watch experts. I have a 1979 Tudor Submariner that stopped working. I'd like to get it repaired. Can someone steer me to a good place to send it to? Do I just contact Rolex?

I still have the original box and sales receipt to prove ownership, if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    A question for the watch experts. I have a 1979 Tudor Submariner that stopped working. I'd like to get it repaired. Can someone steer me to a good place to send it to? Do I just contact Rolex?

I still have the original box and sales receipt to prove ownership, if I need to.
    You could probably take it to an authorized dealer. Before you do, run your question past the guys at rolexforum.com. They're the P-F.com of the watch world, so they'll have the inside scoop on how to get the best work at the best price. And speaking of price, don't be surprised if it's very expensive.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 06-06-2016 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I love the analog gshocks but hate the way they're poorly backlit.

JR1572
    I love my Mudmaster but the led light is very disappointing.

User Tag List