Page 74 of 375 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    You may not, not that has anything to really do with what I posted.

Without revealing too much info, the maratac watch is essentially a custom combination of parts that could be setup by many different companies, especially a china-sourced company like county-comm would have access to.

If you google Parnis Pilot images you'll see a very obvious likeness to the maratac watch. In fact if you contact Parnis, they will essentially make a Maratac clone for you....in bulk.
    All of these movements can and have been replicated in china, as there are no laws to stop them from doing so.

Also, even if they are in fact Japanese movements they could easily be imported to whatever manufacturer of that specific model
    Uniqueness, not withstanding style, is essentially one of the main selling points of any fine mechanical accomplishment.

Again, most people do not know what they want out of a watch, so looks are the threshold.

So a copy of a copy is perfectly acceptable for many, especially if it doesn't have a logo.
    I guess I'm lost here... What is your point exactly? What are the negatives of the Maratac?

What I want from it is a cheap watch that looks nice and has that particular look (tool watch, dive watch, casual watch) and the SR-1/9051L seems to have a solid blend of that and is priced very well for a clean looking watch. I can't think of a decent alternative that has all that for less. If there is lemme know. They're not purported to be anything else and there aren't any claims that are false, that I can find.

The next closest thing would be a modded Seiko and I can't click and have one in a few days. I also really like the case on the Maratac compared to some of the Seiko's.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I guess I'm lost here... What is your point exactly? What are the negatives of the Maratac?

What I want from it is a cheap watch that looks nice and has that particular look (tool watch, dive watch, casual watch) and the SR-1/9051L seems to have a solid blend of that and is priced very well for a clean looking watch. I can't think of a decent alternative that has all that for less. If there is lemme know. They're not purported to be anything else and there aren't any claims that are false, that I can find.

The next closest thing would be a modded Seiko and I can't click and have one in a few days. I also really like the case on the Maratac compared to some of the Seiko's.
    Again, nothing really negative meant, just making an observation from personal experience of that industry.

The terms "tool, dive casual" watch all have very specific meanings, rarely do they all come together in one watch.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    No worries.

I just hope that I can talk enough people into a B28 or B27 with a slightly redesigned face (to make it easier to read and distinctly PF) and an additional orange NATO strap to make a group buy happen.
    Both would make very awesome forum watch
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

You may not, not that has anything to really do with what I posted.

Without revealing too much info, the maratac watch is essentially a custom combination of parts that could be setup by many different companies, especially a china-sourced company like county-comm would have access to.

If you google Parnis Pilot images you'll see a very obvious likeness to the maratac watch. In fact if you contact Parnis, they will essentially make a Maratac clone for you....in bulk.
    All of these movements can and have been replicated in china, as there are no laws to stop them from doing so.

Also, even if they are in fact Japanese movements they could easily be imported to whatever manufacturer of that specific model
    Uniqueness, not withstanding style, is essentially one of the main selling points of any fine mechanical accomplishment.

Again, most people do not know what they want out of a watch, so looks are the threshold.

So a copy of a copy is perfectly acceptable for many, especially if it doesn't have a logo.
    Again, nothing really negative meant, just making an observation from personal experience of that industry.

The terms "tool, dive casual" watch all have very specific meanings, rarely do they all come together in one watch.
    The stylings of a tool watch match up with a dive watch. For me that would be more casual, not like jewelry. That's using commonly accepted definitions from various watch resources.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/de...ch-358503.html
    https://beckertime.com/blog/rolex-th...-a-tool-watch/
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/wha...ch-287697.html

In 1957, Omega introduced three interesting new watches onto the market: the Seamaster 300 (CK2913), the Railmaster (CK2914) and the Speedmaster (CK2915). The three watches were of similar design and all considered ‘tool’ watches: the Seamaster for diving, the Railmaster for professional use (it was anti-magnetic as well) and the Speedmaster for race and sports purposes.
    http://www.chrono24.com/magazine/leg...onwatch-p_2618

That should be enough to get the gist of what I want and see how that particular Maratac fits in.

No worries.

I just hope that I can talk enough people into a B28 or B27 with a slightly redesigned face (to make it easier to read and distinctly PF) and an additional orange NATO strap to make a group buy happen.
    I think a SR-1 or SR-9015L with an orange crown (like the red crown on this watch), an orange second hand, and a PF logo on the face would be totally badass.

ETA: second hand is already orange. I thought it was red...

I wouldn't object to either.
    Last edited by orionz06; 12-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The stylings of a tool watch match up with a dive watch. For me that would be more casual, not like jewelry. That's using commonly accepted definitions from various watch resources.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/de...ch-358503.html
    https://beckertime.com/blog/rolex-th...-a-tool-watch/
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/wha...ch-287697.html

http://www.chrono24.com/magazine/leg...onwatch-p_2618

That should be enough to get the gist of what I want and see how that particular Maratac fits in.

I wouldn't object to either.
    I'm gonna rage quit PF if you guys don't reign this shit in. I just started making some money after sinking my life's savings into my business and now you guys are making me lustful over watches.

Cut the crap! Now I want a Lum-tec AND an Omega Speed Master with that brown leather strap.

And I've NEVER worn a watch, for more than a few days in a row, in my entire life.

God forbid you guys ever start talking about house remodeling or yachts./sarcasm/rant off [emoji41]
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    Careful. That line of thinking is how you end up with all of them. The Maratac and Seikos are really great, especially for the money. They are solid quality, can take a beating, and they are inexpensive enough that you're not going to cry if they get a little banged up or lost.

Seiko divers are the Glocks of the watch world. Parts practically grow on trees, so you can inexpesnively repair or modify the watch if it gets damaged or you get bored.

I will say that as much as I thought I would like the 173, I don't end up wearing it much. I tend to reach for the Maratac or a Monster. I'll probably end up flipping the 173. Maybe for a P-F Lum-Tec if that ends up happening (which would be very cool!).

The Sinn is such a satisfying watch. Everything about it is solid, clean, and precise. It's tough enough to take anywhere and dressy enough to wear with a suit. If I had to go down to just one watch, it would be the 104. But life's too short for just one watch.
    $440.00 is "inexpensive enough?"!!!! I have had the same Casio for probably 10 years. As cool as orange and black are (my HS colors) - I don't know if I'll be ABLE to join in.

Here's an old Wenger I used to wear alot. Swiss made, mineral crystal.
    Simple, relatively cheap at the time, and rugged as a tank.

Just found it in my nightstand, waaaaay in the back. Forgot I even owned it.

Attachment 5014
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Having owned several omega's (speedmaster and seamasters), several other entry level watches and a bunch of lumtecs, I can say without hesitation that "tool" and "dive" are two completely different things.

Lots of people seem to put them together, but they aren't.

Is a submariner a tool watch? Sure, it'll take a beating and keep on ticking (sorta, hopefully).

Those are dive watches, top is a panerai submersible, bottom is an omega ploprof, both really awesome, both really heavy, both do really well in deep watch and beating people unconscious while strapped to the end of a stick or shoe laces.

A tool watch? Is essentially any metal watch with a metal band that can take a beating, can it be a dive watch? Sure, but there is a very specific difference, the diving part. True dive watches will be heavy and look the part, will a seamaster do the same as a traditional dive watch? Sure, up to a point...

Of course there are formal watches, that come in all sorts...

All above is my opinion of course...
    VDMSR.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
    $440.00 is "inexpensive enough?"!!!! I have had the same Casio for probably 10 years. As cool as orange and black are (my HS colors) - I don't know if I'll be ABLE to join in.
    This. There might as well be an orange-and-black P-F.com edition Bugatti Veyron.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

As for price...yeah...$440 is nothing for a watch, and when I say nothing, I mean literally pocket change for a watch...explained that a few pages back.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List