Page 327 of 372 FirstFirst ... 227277317325326327328329337 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 3720

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

@vcdgrips and others, I think you'll find this interesting.

The title of the video is misleading (for clicks) but the content is valuable, I think.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    WB

Thank you for the shout out. I will watch this with interest.

I found it moderately ironic that Rolex advertised on the Oscars yet they still have essentially zero availability at the retail AD level.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Some good info about watch care.

I have not read the whole thread, so some of this may have been discussed, but a few comments on the information in the video:

The forbidden date change window is a real issue for both mechanical and quartz watches. Never change it between 9 pm and 3 am.

Regarding mechanical shock, I have heard directly from the NY repair center of Rolex USA that shooting while wearing one of their watches is fine. I specifically asked about weak-hand only pistol shooting. They do not want their customers worrying about wearing their watches while swinging golf clubs, etc. They want their customers to wear their watches. The Human hand and wrist acts as a bit of a shock absorber. What they did say to avoid is direct impacts to the watch, which can damage it. They specifically named the example of martial arts or combat sports. I wear a much less expensive watch while bicycling for exercise.

Regarding magnetism, the speakers on a smart phone or earpiece, or a computer can be enough to throw off the timing. A demagnetizer is a good investment. I use a magnetizer/demagnetizer with an internal channel. When demagnetizing, start with the watch inside the channel, not touching the device in any way. Activate the device, leave it there for a few seconds, and then slowly remove it from the channel, keeping it on the axis of the channel, until arms length away.

Regarding the crown, I insist on screw-down crowns, having seen too many watches with push-pull crowns prove to be less waterproof than represented. To avoid damaging the threads, I turn in the unscrew direction while pushing in until I hear and feel a click, and then screw the crown in, knowing the threads are engaged correctly at that point.

If you have a self-winding watch, do not manually wind the watch unless the second hand is stopped. Wearing the watch daily will adequately and fully wind it. Although the ratchet mechanism will prevent damage from over-winding, it is possible to put excessive wear on the ratchet mechanism, which will eventually cause a loss of accuracy and accelerate the need for a service.

Waterproof seals should be replaced every several years. On a watch that receives regular service, this will be part of that service. Otherwise, consider having it done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I know what happened to my grandfather’s 1960…
    Here's a repair guide on the Accutron from the late Henny Frystak for anyone who's interested:

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    Back from an extended spa treatment at RGM, should be good to go for 6 or 7 years...Attachment 100544
    I sent my 203 Arktis in for maintenance, I got it back in December… they said 4 months initially. How was the turnaround for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Keith View Post
    I sent my 203 Arktis in for maintenance, I got it back in December… they said 4 months initially. How was the turnaround for you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I sent it in May 2022 and they said 15-20 weeks. It took something over 7 months. It's not my daily wear so I didn't sweat it too much and I was trying to convince myself that I was going to sell it when it got back.

I've not been particularly impressed by Watches and Wonders (the SHOT show of watches) this year, but I really like What JLC put out for its Reverso line.

The commentary is a bit too snarky but the visuals and the explanations make up for that.

P.S: @vcdgrips, if you don't already, I believe you need a Reverso in your life.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Absolutely iconic brand and watch. Definitely on the list.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Absolutely iconic brand and watch. Definitely on the list.
    Personally the steel Tribute with the opaline dial (Steel Reverso Tribute) checks a lot of boxes.

Site Supporter
    There's no doubt my 5 year old is my son. Here's his bedside table.

Name:  20230402_185924.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  52.0 KB

User Tag List