Page 313 of 375 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    Thank you. Approximately 2.5 months. I actually meant to get 126200, but apparently put down 126234 instead. This one of the new 2022 models.
    That’s great, the mint green dial has a lot of hype around (for good reason) so even cooler you ended up with that one. When I picked up my P39 my AD informed me I’m still on the list for a 124060, even though I said I could be taken off. Depending on timing though if I get the call I may just pull the trigger, I’m about 8-9 months in.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    That’s great, the mint green dial has a lot of hype around (for good reason) so even cooler you ended up with that one. When I picked up my P39 my AD informed me I’m still on the list for a 124060, even though I said I could be taken off. Depending on timing though if I get the call I may just pull the trigger, I’m about 8-9 months in.
    I agree with the hype . I like how the light plays around the dial. I specifically wanted a more colorful watch. I think I got this one because it's not as popular as a sub.

Site Supporter
    Factory Sponsored Certified Pre Owned Rolex Watches with a 2 yr warranty...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out i.e. 4 yr old no date sub with 2 yr warranty at 11k v a new one at 8ish k with a 5 yr warranty ...oh wait nothing new on the case.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...-owned-program

This plus the recent news that Rolex expects to have its new factory online by 2030 has me even more anti Rolex.

Easy for me to say as I do not own one- The ROI/pricing is a result of manipulation. Folks have been civilly and criminally consequenced in other industries for similar shenanigans.

Say it with me:

I will never pay more than retail for a Rolex from an AD and/or a grey mkt dealer

I will never pay more than retail for a used Rolex from an AD and/or a grey mkt dealer

If I was retiring tomorrow with a 6ish K budget ( OP 41 at retail), I would buy Grand Seiko and not look back.

YMMV Greatly/FWIW
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Factory Sponsored Certified Pre Owned Rolex Watches with a 2 yr warranty...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out i.e. 4 yr old no date sub with 2 yr warranty at 11k v a new one at 8ish k with a 5 yr warranty ...oh wait nothing new on the case.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...-owned-program

This plus the recent news that Rolex expects to have its new factory online by 2030 has me even more anti Rolex.

Easy for me to say as I do not own one- The ROI/pricing is a result of manipulation. Folks have been civilly and criminally consequenced in other industries for similar shenanigans.

Say it with me:

I will never pay more than retail for a Rolex from an AD and/or a grey mkt dealer

I will never pay more than retail for a used Rolex from an AD and/or a grey mkt dealer

If I was retiring tomorrow with a 6ish K budget ( OP 41 at retail), I would buy Grand Seiko and not look back.

YMMV Greatly/FWIW
    We don't know how Rolex is going to price them yet (and that program isn't available in the US, for the time being). Rolex could go secondary market price (and it makes back what flippers make, who, when caught by Rolex get barred from any purchase of its product), it could go under retail price (they are used watches after all), or it could go with a discount under secondary market price (more likely). The changes to the secondary market are going to be interesting. AP already has decided that its dealers can charge market price or retail price at will, and what Rolex is doing here is not really different from what Mercedes is doing with its own cars.

Also, this only applies to watches that are at least three years old.

We'll see but I wouldn't be surprised if secondary market prices for Rolexes starts coming down further (as it already has in the last few months). Of course, I could be wrong.

I have bought from a, legitimate, used watch dealer, because the model is discontinued (e.g. my 214270 MK1) and the price was worth it to me (whether it is to anyone else is another story) and I will do so again if it strikes my fancy.

It's easy to blame Rolex for the high prices in the secondary market and unavailability at retail price, However, while one can blame Rolex for the latter (even though it makes over one million watches a year and that still doesn't satisfy demand), Rolex control over the former is near nonexistent (and it has been trying really hard to minimize abuse); one could just about argue that Rolex has been losing an enormous amount of potential business and it's now trying to claw some of it back. I personally don't see any market manipulation by Rolex, as opposed to by flippers and shady ADs. But, as you say, YMMV :-)

In the meanwhile, I'm looking at a JLC Reverso and a Cartier Santos.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I purchased Rolexes because:
    1. Brand recognition
    2. Maintains its value

While Grand Seiko are nice watches, I doubt they are as well-known as Rolex. I purchased my first one from Costco (gray market), back when they still carried them.

My second one is from an AD at retail. I am not willing to pay more on a used market and perfectly fine waiting for my turn at the AD.

Site Supporter
    If Grand Seiko would up it's clasp's, giving on the fly micro adjustment, I think they would absolutely compete with Rolex. They won't compete in the mainstream, where people just want a status symbol. But to people who are actually into watches, the casework, dial's and movements are on par IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The loaner arrived today, just wow:

Attachment 97901

It wears big, but not too big. The thickness is more of a concern than the diameter. The heft is exquisite.
    Sup, new Sinn buddy

Found a deal on a secondhand fully-tegimented U50. The bracelet is surprisingly comfortable but I've been wearing it on a NATO strap for maximum tacticals.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Sup, new Sinn buddy

Found a deal on a secondhand fully-tegimented U50. The bracelet is surprisingly comfortable but I've been wearing it on a NATO strap for maximum tacticals.
    Sweet! I think I decided that the U2 wears too big for me. I’m hoping WatchBuys comes to DFW or Houston in 2023 so I can check out U1 and U50 firsthand.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Name:  6BD01DE1-CBFC-470F-AC6E-6ADF2082E6FB.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  40.0 KB
    Is it bad that I’m contrarian enough to buy this if they made it with an ETA/ Sellita movement with a Sapphire crystal? I’d love it!! The detail is amazing 😂

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Name:  6BD01DE1-CBFC-470F-AC6E-6ADF2082E6FB.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  40.0 KB
    Is it bad that I’m contrarian enough to buy this if they made it with an ETA/ Sellita movement with a Sapphire crystal? I’d love it!! The detail is amazing 😂
    That's hilarious.
    True story: In 1985 I was stationed in Iwakuni and TAD to Yokosuka. I was at the base exchange and they had a gold and stainless Sub for something like $750. I was a 1Lt but not flush and I thought that would be way too extravagant to put on a charge card. 🤷🏼
    Woulda coulda shoulda.

User Tag List