Page 310 of 373 FirstFirst ... 210260300308309310311312320360 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,100 of 3727

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Site Supporter
    See post 2337.

Great grab and go watch-Casio Oceanus in Titanium/Solar/Atomic/Sapphire/JDM (Japanese Domestic Market)

420 shipped is a sold price for new.

Loved the fact that I took it out of the EDC box this am and it had already adjusted itself given DST.

https://www.amazon.com/CASIO-OCEANUS.../dp/B0073B4KVO
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

I have an embarrassing newb question about buying a Rolex for my wife. I've never actually bought a watch at a watch store before (just on the secondary market) so I'm extra out of my depth.

Should I get on the waitlist at multiple ADs? Is there a downside to doing that? First place I checked quoted me 6-8 months so I'm just trying to shorten the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I have an embarrassing newb question about buying a Rolex for my wife. I've never actually bought a watch at a watch store before (just on the secondary market) so I'm extra out of my depth.

Should I get on the waitlist at multiple ADs? Is there a downside to doing that? First place I checked quoted me 6-8 months so I'm just trying to shorten the wait.
    Nothing should be embarrassing about this question, everyone has to start somewhere :-)

Sure, get on the waitlist at multiple ADs, it costs you nothing.

However, being on the list doesn't mean much. One, ADs get what they get from Rolex without much prior knowledge (in other words, a big carboard box from Rolex arrives and they have no idea what's in it until they open it). Two, Every AD has a certain set of clients that they will favor over everyone for in demand watches; those guys get first crack at whatever is in that box no matter where on the list they may be.

As a result, it really matters to develop a relationship with your AD. Show up once every month or less and shoot the breeze, maybe buy something, maybe not, but talk, make yourself known, make yourself look like a guy they want to sell watches to, and most of all be nice and friendly. That is more likely to get you the watch you want than being on a list.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post

I was very skeptical of the whole waiting list, thinking it was BS. However, it cost me nothing, and I got on a wait list with a local AD. I would stop once every few months, maybe a bit more to chat/look around.
    Needless to say, I was surprised when I got a text last Thur that they have the model I wanted. I put down the deposit and will be picking up the watch when I am back.

The total wait was probably about 3-4 months. When I was there, she did say that because of the economic situation, some of their clients are passing on the watches if their turn comes up.
    If the model she wants is not too popular, the wait could be bearable.
    This was without me spending a dime in their store, except for the occasional stop to chat/look around.

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    If the model she wants is not too popular, the wait could be bearable.
    The salesperson at the one place I went said that the specific model wasn't very high demand so the wait should be relatively short...so 6-8 months

We'll see how it pans out.

This guy for Speedy Tuesday, Voting Day edition.

Site Supporter
    I have spent the last few days reviewing this thread and have the following take-a ways.

1. The collective watch knowledge here is excellent

2. I miss TLG greatly when I read the thread

3. We are about to embark upon at least the 5th Holiday Season where there are no Rolexes to be had from an AD in any meaningful way.

4. If I retired tomorrow and my budget was 6ish k ( Delta set by the Rolex OP), I would likely buy Grand Seiko and not look back.

5. Teddy Baldassare, Hodinkes and Worn and Wound are all solid places to go re the world of watches.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have spent the last few days reviewing this thread and have the following take-a ways.

1. The collective watch knowledge here is excellent

2. I miss TLG greatly when I read the thread

3. We are about to embark upon at least the 5th Holiday Season where there are no Rolexes to be had from an AD in any meaningful way.

4. If I retired tomorrow and my budget was 6ish k ( Delta set by the Rolex OP), I would likely buy Grand Seiko and not look back.

5. Teddy Baldassare, Hodinkes and Worn and Wound are all solid places to go re the world of watches.

To #4, I might go Tudor too. Depends on taste and I'm a Submariner guy (the watch not the boat )

To #5 I'd add Watchbox and Watchfinder to that list.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Yeah if I had to do just one watch it would probably be a Grand Seiko. Not everyone likes the GS aesthetic but I do, and the detail that goes into the hands, indices, and dial is fantastic for the price.

I do wish the bracelets were better. If I had to do just 1 watch I'd pick one that looked nice on a strap of some kind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Teddy Baldassare
    The thing I appreciate about Baldassare is that he genuinely seems as enthusiastic about a $500 watch as a $50,000 one.

User Tag List