Page 290 of 375 FirstFirst ... 190240280288289290291292300340 ... LastLast
Results 2,891 to 2,900 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    The sub seemed flashier because of the polished parts (off the top of my head: crown guards, sides of the case and sides of bezel -the numbers in the bezel are PVded platinum and the ceramic of the bezel has a natural shine- and the indices on the dial are white gold to eliminate oxydation) in the bright lights of the shop. Wear it outside and in your home for a few days and that "flash" disappears (it will reappear in the bright lights of your bathroom).

It looks like you're trying the previous generation sub, #116610, right?

As an aside, have you thought about the Explorer 1? the new 36mm is unobtanium at retail but the previous gen (#214270 at 39mm) is classic, full of history, discreet, flat, simple and rugged (also 100m water resistance and antimagnetic).
    The one in the photo was at Mayers, I didn't look at the reference. There is so much to look at your first time with a Rolex on your wrist, and in a Rolex AD that it just slipped my mind. It was marked 2015 (which probably tells the reference), and $19K. Thats flat out of my price range and in my view unreasonable mark up. I more wanted to know if I liked the watch. I think I do.

If the shine wears off it'd be damn near perfection. I like the explorers, but like the elapsed time bezel more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    The one in the photo was at Mayers, I didn't look at the reference. There is so much to look at your first time with a Rolex on your wrist, and in a Rolex AD that it just slipped my mind. It was marked 2015 (which probably tells the reference), and $19K. Thats flat out of my price range and in my view unreasonable mark up. I more wanted to know if I liked the watch. I think I do.

If the shine wears off it'd be damn near perfection. I like the explorers, but like the elapsed time bezel more.
    2015 makes it an 116610 (new generation of the same is the 126610 and came out in fall 2020) and $19k seems outrageous. However, the prices for those seems to be going up.

Here are a couple from David SW that are newer and cheaper:
    2016 116610LN and 2020 116610LN

You get a better deal with the newer generation.
    From David SW: 2021 126610LN
    From Watchbox: 2021 126610LN and 2022 126610LN

These are just examples of some of the deals you can find, and while prices for the highest end seem to be coming down, it isn't likely to happen for the Subs anytime soon; I actually expect a continuing increase for a couple of years barring something major happening.

The shine does "wear off", not because something happens to the watch physically but simply due to lighting.

Here's my (already posted a couple times) 124060; photo is a couple of days after I bought it new from my AD.

Name:  IMG_4323.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  49.4 KB

P.S. you'll get an even better deal with the "no Date" sub, #126040LN , but only if you can get past the absence of the "cyclops eye"

P.P.S. I get about the rotating bezel, I really do, but I suggest you try an Explorer on when you can. It may seem plain but as you wear it, its simplicity becomes a near platonic ideal. Moreover, the prices for the 214270 (Mk1 and Mk2) seems to remain straddling the $10K mark. An underestimated classic.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Sub's are obviously fantastic watches and will hold their value long term better than anything else in the price range. I personally won't play the wait list AD games or pay a $5K grey market premium. I have a Pelagos and think it's an amazing value for what your getting. I've become a huge fan of Tudor and Grand Seiko and see those two brands making up the majority of my collection long term.

Site Supporter
    Speaking of the Pelagos, stopped along Lake Michigan to let the kids play for a bit today.
    Name:  20220626_124709.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  36.1 KB

We don't go to Orlando often. So we went to DavidSW, took a helicopter ride, and then wound up at another Rolex place called Mayers. I tried on the Pelagos and the Sub again. Altgougj a Rolex AD they only had a used 2015 sub-date. For 19k. Even more than DavidSW.

I like the Sub's size and cyclops. I like the Pelagos weight, and less flash. I also tried a Black Bay 58, really liked it but wish it had a date.

We wound up leaving for food before I could check out the Breitling and Omega stores. I'm in no rush, we'll check them out next time.

Attachment 90582Attachment 90583
    I was at Mayers a few months ago in Orlando, their pricing is absurd. When I was there they had the black GMT Master II which is a beautiful reference but unfortunately is no longer “under the radar”.

Name:  C361EDA0-A982-4710-83E5-7FF591A5CC54.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  88.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Speaking of the Pelagos, stopped along Lake Michigan to let the kids play for a bit today.
    Name:  20220626_124709.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  36.1 KB
    That's awesome. I didn't see it in blue. It looks amazing. For the price the Pelagos is tough to beat. I may wind up getting one when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I was at Mayers a few months ago in Orlando, their pricing is absurd. When I was there they had the black GMT Master II which is a beautiful reference but unfortunately is no longer “under the radar”.

Name:  C361EDA0-A982-4710-83E5-7FF591A5CC54.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  88.0 KB
    Gorgeous watches. While the GMTs offer some great looks, I'd never really need the GMT function. I feel like no Rolex is under the radar anymore. I hope the shenanigans with used/new prices and availability change. Who knows if they will.

Mayers was significantly higher priced, and far less casual. They were willing to look at watches the same way with me, but weren't as interested in why I wanted a watch, or what I would do while wearing it, or what appealed to me. The SA just didnt click as well as DavidSW.

Im probably a year out from purchase, so we'll see how it goes.

Hiking to some caves Sunday.
    Name:  20220626_145257.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  29.9 KB
    Last edited by Cory; 06-27-2022 at 06:45 PM.

While the GMTs offer some great looks, I'd never really need the GMT function.

Hiking to some caves Sunday.
    Name:  20220626_145257.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  29.9 KB
    Did you know that the GMT function can be used as a crude compass?

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    @Cory. After checking google maps it looks like this happened a few weeks ago fairly close to where you were just shopping.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1368175

Sorry to interrupt this awesome thread, but it seemed a good reminder for all of us. Especially with the body cam starting with a clear shot of a different jewelry/watch place at the mall.

Good luck with the search dude. I’m currently suffering paralysis by analysis searching for an affordable GMT watch that will look ok on my skinny wrists.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @Cory. After checking google maps it looks like this happened a few weeks ago fairly close to where you were just shopping.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1368175

Sorry to interrupt this awesome thread, but it seemed a good reminder for all of us. Especially with the body cam starting with a clear shot of a different jewelry/watch place at the mall.

Good luck with the search dude. I’m currently suffering paralysis by analysis searching for an affordable GMT watch that will look ok on my skinny wrists.
    Yup. The Mayors store I was in is at the start of the video. I had trouble telling what entrance that was, but it may have been the one my family used.

I had my 92, and my family has talked over scenerios similar to this. Still looking forward to going back to the other stores.

Tudor makes a Black Bay GMT dont they? I think thats a but smaller?
    Last edited by Cory; 06-28-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Name:  3146AE86-4ECC-4BE5-B91F-58EF65EE56D1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  38.6 KB

Seiko Digi-Tuna. I like this watch a lot, even though it is a pretty basic digital watch.

User Tag List