Page 248 of 375 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298348 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yes. And they are not for sale

Which means someone like you or I has already been promised these and the AD is holding them to keep the cases looking full. To give the illusion that you can walk in off the street with 10-17k and just buy one. Which you can’t.

I know a guy who has a couple of those pieces. And he’s an unapologetic Rolex fan boy…but

Even he knows this is total bullshit and has started finding interest in other brands.
    I used to own a no-date Sub and a GMT Master. I’d get another Rolex but the prices are absurd.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Which means someone like you or I has already been promised these and the AD is holding them to keep the cases looking full. To give the illusion that you can walk in off the street with 10-17k and just buy one. Which you can’t.

I know a guy who has a couple of those pieces. And he’s an unapologetic Rolex fan boy…but

Even he knows this is total bullshit and has started finding interest in other brands.
    I used to own a no-date Sub and a GMT Master. I’d get another of each but the prices are absurd and the bling factor is too high.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I used to own a no-date Sub and a GMT Master. I’d get another of each but the prices are absurd and the bling factor is too high.

Okie John
    It’s not the prices. With a little cunning these can be owned at retail from an AD

But I’m in the club and I don’t even want to be. Too much drama.

It’s for sale or it’s not. Your 20k is just as good as mine or anyone else’s.

Okie John

Site Supporter
    Rant warning

At the expense of repeating myself on this forum, Rolex is killing the seed corn. Xmas 4 ( or is it 5)coming up with no availability.

If A watch geek like me (champagne taste/ hard cider budget) was looking to buy myself my first Rolex/retirement watch and upgrade from an Omega Seamaster GMT with 8ish grand cap because I was toggling between a no date sub and an OP, I could not do it.

First, I would have to talk my self into the extra 2 k for the sub.

Second, simply unobtanium at retail from an AD.

Third, Gray mkt means 5 yr warranty with the mothership may be meaningless and even servicing at the mothership may be in question. Moreover, Rolex is really constructing parts to old school non AD watchmakers such that when the dust settles, when your 1.5-2x retail Rolex needs servicing, you may be SOL.

Grand Seiko is looking better and better now that they just went to a 5 yr warranty. In fact, your could buy all 4 seasons of a spring drive series for less that an in hand SS Pepsi GMT.

Omega is still solid and is at a 5 yr warranty. IWC went to 8 yrs.

Oris is killing it in the sub 3k space. Frederick Constant and Christopher Ward have some interesting stuff as well.

Damasko and Sinn are in there as well for 3 ish or less and are available.

Hamilton, Mido, Tissot and any number of Microbrands in sub 1K space are on fire.

I get that Rolex ROI is nearly unparalleled. I simply won’t abide doing business w folks I do not like, particularly at this price point.

Rant off.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Rant warning

At the expense of repeating myself on this forum, Rolex is killing the seed corn. Xmas 4 ( or is it 5)coming up with no availability.

If A watch geek like me (champagne taste/ hard cider budget) was looking to buy myself my first Rolex/retirement watch and upgrade from an Omega Seamaster GMT with 8ish grand cap because I was toggling between a no date sub and an OP, I could not do it.

Third, Gray mkt means 5 yr warranty with the mothership may be meaningless and even servicing at the mothership may be in question. Moreover, Rolex is really constructing parts to old school non AD watchmakers such that when the dust settles, when your 1.5-2x retail Rolex needs servicing, you may be SOL.

Grand Seiko is looking better and better now that they just went to a 5 yr warranty. In fact, your could buy all 4 seasons of a spring drive series for less that an in hand SS Pepsi GMT.

Oris is killing it in the sub 3k space. Frederick Constant and Christopher Ward have some interesting stuff as well.

Hamilton, Mido, Tissot and any number of Microbrands in sub 1K space are on fire.

I get that Rolex ROI is nearly unparalleled. I simply won’t abide doing business w folks I do not like, particularly at this price point.

Rant off.

You’re 100% correct. I don’t want some of the pieces I have but am I “allowed” to sell them? Not really. Make the whole thing a drag.

SRPE33 King Samurai.

I really dig the save the ocean dial, this photo doesn’t really do it justice.

Name:  095AB68E-140B-41C8-9CFA-F08E757D4682.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  31.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Rant warning

Rant off.
    Agree 100%. I think that the Sinn of today is what Rolex was back in the 80s when I bought mine.

Okie John

Not a watch guy at all, totally out of my lane. However, I always liked the looks of the classic Seiko Dive Watch. A buddy had one in college, but I couldn't justify the cost. Two years ago I bought myself one for my birthday. It's chump change value compared to the stuff I see here, but I like it a lot.
    I was very interested in a Rolex Submariner when I was out of college and in the service. I vacillated over it, but ultimately didn't buy one. I kick myself these days when I see the prices of them. When I was looking, they were 800 bucks through AAFES. It was two months pay back then, but considering how much money got blown on booze and other bullshit, I really should have bought one. They are absolutely out of my range these days.

I have been wearing a Seiko Digi-Tuna for a while.

Name:  PXL_20210908_155316754~2.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  103.7 KB

User Tag List