Page 207 of 375 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I trust new old stock gaskets....even the somewhat rust prone spring lock type.

But not 60 year old springbars.

Nato is the way not lose a vintage sub over the deck of your boat

Where would you guys recommend sending a late '60s/early '70s Bulova automatic that needs some love? Miraculously, it still keeps fairly accurate time, but the acrylic crystal has some deep scratches and the original bracelet no longer clasps. There's also a fair amount of "honest wear" on it that I'm not sure whether I'd rather get fixed up or leave as-is. As you would probably expect with a watch that old, the lume is basically worthless, especially when compared side by side with my Lum-Tec C7, but it's a neat piece in a chunky, old-school dive watch kind of way, and it belonged to my late father, so at minimum, I'd like to get the crystal fixed up or replaced so that I can wear it in remembrance of him without it looking beat up the way it does now. I currently have it on a NATO strap that I like the look of better than the original bracelet anyway, but I'd still like to get the original bracelet fixed if possible. Any idea of what I can expect to pay for the crystal? The scratch between the 4 and 5 o'clock positions is deep enough that I'm concerned that polishing won't do it. I don't imagine a lot of places stock parts for watches this old.

Name:  IMG_0583.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  30.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I trust new old stock gaskets....even the somewhat rust prone spring lock type.

But not 60 year old springbars.

Nato is the way not lose a vintage sub over the deck of your boat
    I’m deciding what to do with the bracelet. I can have it rebuilt, but then I’d have to have the case welded up and reshaped to match. And I need another link, at least, to get around my wrist.

Invicta "Sea Spider", Number 14864. Another cheap one that I bought just because I liked it and it was on sale when I passed by a channel in the middle of the night.

My phone's colors just don't "pop" as they should when I take pics inside, but outside pics are very well saturated. The rose gold color looks more brass than copper in the pic.

Name:  ZGvCF8.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  58.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I’m deciding what to do with the bracelet. I can have it rebuilt, but then I’d have to have the case welded up and reshaped to match. And I need another link, at least, to get around my wrist.
    Those old bracelets are just so janky though.

Was never worth the effort for me....Always went nato.

Name:  8920BE5E-9D62-48A6-9E46-277D84B52F35.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  55.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Those old bracelets are just so janky though.

Was never worth the effort for me....Always went nato.
    I'll likely go this way too, but I hate when NATOs get smelly

Site Supporter
    Re stinky NATOS

1. Rotate frequently
    2. Hand wash with oxy clean infused soap/water/toothbrush and air dry
    3. Replace frequently as simply the cost of doing business
    4. Consider a quality/non OEM bracelet at a fraction of the price of an OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Re stinky NATOS

1. Rotate frequently
    2. Hand wash with oxy clean infused soap/water/toothbrush and air dry
    3. Replace frequently as simply the cost of doing business
    4. Consider a quality/non OEM bracelet at a fraction of the price of an OEM.
    Button it through the belt loop of a pair of pants and throw in the washer. Air dry. Replace as needed.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Button it through the belt loop of a pair of pants and throw in the washer. Air dry. Replace as needed.

Okie John
    That's smart, I like that.

Optionally my wife has some sort of mesh bag that she puts super delicate things in for washing, I've thrown NATO straps in there to run through a wash cycle before. I've also wrapped the strap around one of the racks in the dishwasher before as well.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason F View Post
    That's smart, I like that.

Optionally my wife has some sort of mesh bag that she puts super delicate things in for washing, I've thrown NATO straps in there to run through a wash cycle before. I've also wrapped the strap around one of the racks in the dishwasher before as well.
    I also used to safety pin a pair of earplugs to the lining of my patrol cap when I was on active duty because you never know when you might need ear pro. They'd get grubby after a while and I'd toss the hat into the wash with the pin still there. Came out clean as a whistle.

Two of many Lazy GI Tricks.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List