Page 186 of 375 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The Rolex Explorer I (214270) has captured my attention. I know that stainless Rolex models are scarce right now - anyone have any insights into the wait for one of these?
    There’s a new one in the case at an AD close to me (where I got
    Mine late last year)

Sure you could locate one in person

I’ll vouch for David, I’ve purchased 2 Rolex’s from him with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Depmur View Post
    I’ll vouch for David, I’ve purchased 2 Rolex’s from him with no issues.

Sure.

But there’s zero reason to pay a gray market dealer $7600 when you could pay local AD $6500+ tax

Thanks - I'll check in with the usual suspects (ADs) around town.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It’s no Rolex or Grand Seiko, but it’s got a smooth sweep seconds hand with a 262k high accuracy quartz movement.

Fun fact; while the movement doesn’t hum like the original Accutrons, it does feature a unique high speed tick like a mechanical escapement on steroids . Can’t hear it unless the case back is off though

The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm deciding between a disco'd GMT, and a K5 blazer. So far the squarebody is winning. One thing I recently realized is, I prefer a subdued finish on my EDC watch. I feel self-conscious with the daytona, and the low-key nature of my Pelagos fits my personality more. Luckily my wife is happy with the Daytona
    Last edited by theJanitor; 08-06-2019 at 10:07 PM.

We got her datejust spiffed up. At first, I thought it was too bling, but it looks good on her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theJanitor; 08-06-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Sure.

But there’s zero reason to pay a gray market dealer $7600 when you could pay local AD $6500+ tax
    My experience with a Rolex AD wasn’t the best. My wife and I bought matching Datejust for our anniversary several years back from a AD in Dallas. Over the course of the next 5 years I purchased a Omega Seamaster and my wife a pair of Diamond studs. 2 years ago I decided I wanted a Explorer and returned to that same dealer to be told it would be at least a 8 month wait. So I shopped around and found a 2 month old Explorer that David had listed on USN, we struck up a deal and I received the watch, it still had the plastic stickers on it. I paid less than MSRP and taxes which I would have paid at the AD. Last Christmas I purchased my wife a bracelet from the AD and asked about a Submariner and was told there would be a wait, I signed up. In June the AD called and said they would have a Sub in soon and would sell it to me on the condition I purchase something else also. I took this to mean while they would sell me the sub for msrp and then inflate whatever I purchased to increase their profits and this is for a customer who has spent over 30K with them over the past 6.5 years. I asked to be removed from their list. Last month while on vacation I reached out to David about possibly trading my Explorer towards a Sub. We agreed to the terms, he allowed $600.00 more than I paid for the Explorer and the Sub I purchased was $500.00 over msrp. AD’s are fine if you have a good relationship with them but even that doesn’t mean you will be successful in getting what you want. Stainless Rolex’s are crazy right now but deals are available if you shop around. If buying on the secondary market buy the seller before you buy the watch or for that matter anything. I’m satisfied for the moment with my Seamaster, DJ and Sub. To the OP good luck on your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Depmur View Post
    My experience with a Rolex AD wasn’t the best. My wife and I bought matching Datejust for our anniversary several years back from a AD in Dallas. Over the course of the next 5 years I purchased a Omega Seamaster and my wife a pair of Diamond studs. 2 years ago I decided I wanted a Explorer and returned to that same dealer to be told it would be at least a 8 month wait. So I shopped around and found a 2 month old Explorer that David had listed on USN, we struck up a deal and I received the watch, it still had the plastic stickers on it. I paid less than MSRP and taxes which I would have paid at the AD. Last Christmas I purchased my wife a bracelet from the AD and asked about a Submariner and was told there would be a wait, I signed up. In June the AD called and said they would have a Sub in soon and would sell it to me on the condition I purchase something else also. I took this to mean while they would sell me the sub for msrp and then inflate whatever I purchased to increase their profits and this is for a customer who has spent over 30K with them over the past 6.5 years. I asked to be removed from their list. Last month while on vacation I reached out to David about possibly trading my Explorer towards a Sub. We agreed to the terms, he allowed $600.00 more than I paid for the Explorer and the Sub I purchased was $500.00 over msrp. AD’s are fine if you have a good relationship with them but even that doesn’t mean you will be successful in getting what you want. Stainless Rolex’s are crazy right now but deals are available if you shop around. If buying on the secondary market buy the seller before you buy the watch or for that matter anything. I’m satisfied for the moment with my Seamaster, DJ and Sub. To the OP good luck on your search.

I bought a no-date Sub from an AD just after I got out of the Q course. A few months later, I damaged it badly enough that it needed to go back to the factory, so the AD packed it up and shipped it. Birds chirped and the grass grew while I waited to get it back, and the AD's sales people basically laughed when I asked about when it would be done. When it came back 9 months later, I took it to their competition that day, traded it straight across for a black-bezel GMT Master, and never darkened either of their doors again.

So many reputable dealers sell used watches that I'll never buy anything from an AD again. I'm sure that they add some kind of value to the equation, but I'm also sure that I have no idea what it is.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Finally back on the wrist after a 6 week trip to the spa. Came home late last night. Omega service center full overhaul as my previous go to guy could not get it to hold reserve. They replaced a myriad of parts, returned the old ones, polished the case/band and beat their 9 week estimate by about three weeks. 24 month warranty. I am cautiously optimistic that I will be good for a while.

Name:  IMG_0814.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  34.4 KB
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-07-2019 at 10:34 AM.

User Tag List