Page 166 of 375 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The only Rolex I have a desire to own is an Oyster Perpetual (stainless steel 36mm or 39mm with Dark Rhodium or Red Grape dial). Unfortunately, I can't justify $6k on a watch.

Chris
    The 114300 rhodium is one of my favorite time only Rolex models.

New old watch day

A bit of history showed up on Christmas.

1941-44 Leonidas. This is *not* a military issue watch, but this version has been spotted in period photos being worn by Kriegsmarine personnel.
    17 jewels, fitted with a new mainspring and crystal. Hands are radium painted.
    It is a testament to good engineering; worn silly, yet still capable of +/- 1 minute a day.

Leonidas later became TAG-Heuer.

Name:  IMG_20181230_112602678.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  56.5 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Name:  CFED0DFF-5B30-4492-AF4C-DF187694A90B.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  63.1 KB

For a bit of color it’s hard to beat the 116400GV Milgauss
    Last edited by Duke; 01-01-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    For a bit of color it’s hard to beat the 116400GV Milgauss
    I agree completely.
    Add in a "new" Air-King and you have the funky full house when it comes to colorful Rolexes.

Attachment 33763
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I agree completely.
    Add in a "new" Air-King and you have the funky full house when it comes to colorful Rolexes.

Attachment 33763
    I went the new Mk2 dial explorer 214270 when I saw it next to the air king

Name:  0FDE8F11-1E0B-4F39-858B-B3A71BD0D65B.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  38.7 KB

Site Supporter
    The Milgauss is on the short list of watches I would seriously consider if I were in the market for one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Rolex wants to sell $10k watches for $50k.
    Tudor wants to sell $2k watches for $10k.

In the current market they can't do that.
    I think they are making deliberate moves towards that long term goal.
    Remember that Rolex is a private "charity" with huge cash reserves that answers to no one, hence they can and do think long term.
    Weakness in the ultra high end market due to the Chinese market downturn which is hurting the "Holy Trinity" sales along with pressure from LVMH brands like Tag, Hublot and Zenith as well as SWATCH brands like Omega and Blancpain at their current price point makes it a great time for Rolex to try and move upscale and position Tudor to compete directly with Omega and Hublot.

Rolex is very conservative with their designs, that plays well with the ultra high end market.
    Tudor is more flexible and willing to take trendy design risks to better compete against Tag, Omega and Hublot.
    When they get their prices that high, who will buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    When they get their prices that high, who will buy them?
    The same type of people that were buying $50k+ AP, VC, PP and ALS two years ago.
    Two years ago it was the uber-rich Chinese.
    I see about a 5-10 year drought and then the next crop of multi-billionaires (probably Indians or Koreans) will come along and start a watch buying frenzy all over again.
    That's why I think Rolex is making their move now, $10k+ watch sales are fairly slow and $25k+ sales are stagnant.
    They have the cash reserves to wait out the competition and they have the Tudor brand to cultivate at the mid-tier (<$10k) luxury price point which is still seeing some demand right now.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I went the new Mk2 dial explorer 214270 when I saw it next to the air king
    I really liked the look of the updated Explorer, but the Milgauss case, band and heft fit my wrist perfectly.
    The Air-King was the perfect addition since it's basically a redialed Milgauss with a more tool like brushed finish.

User Tag List