Page 163 of 373 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 3729

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Site Supporter
    "I was in the Rolex store in Waikiki last night. EVERYTHING in there was geared toward a rich Chinese (my wife is Chinese, but far from rich). Gaudy colors and bezels galore. Not a single Diver/GMT/explorer/etc to be found. I was wearing a Tudor, and my wife, a Daytona. I think we had the nicest stuff in the store."

I would respectfully assert that while demographics may have HISTORICALLY had something to do with the product mix there, there is a "shortage" of the watches you reference worldwide as per Hoodinkees, Worn & wound as well as other PF like watch online resources.

The go to Rolex place in KC since Fall has had exactly 0 stainless Submariners, 0 stainless GMTs and scant few Explorers or even stainless Daytonas.

The other Rolex store in town was rumored to have been allotted two of the the New Stainless Pepsi's GMT IIs for 2018. It took a meeting of the owners with the sales staff to determine which long time seven figure customers were going to get the opportunity to buy the watch at retail-9250 +tax

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blro-0001.html

My watch geek buddy was willing to put down a 10% deposit when the model was first announced fully understanding that it could be years before he could buy one. They declined to accept his deposit because as a 2 Rolex, 1 Panerari 1 Grand Seiko watch owner, he was never going to be in play. They were not going to price gouge, they simply were only going to sell that watch to customers who had, over their lifetime, spent so much more at the store.

USED/PREOWNED Pepsi GMT II Stainless at essentially +2x retail.

https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...l#.XCadCWhKiUk

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/pre...6710blro-0001/

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-rol-3dhk7n

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I *have* stopped wearing it changing the oil in the car though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    During one of the oil busts in the 70s or 80s, my grandfather bought a Rolex from one of his neighbors who hit hard times. It was gold with a bunch of diamonds (President, maybe?) and he wore it while mowing, gardening, feeding cattle, etc. He had about a 5th grade education but did well enough to live among the "rich folks", and never hesitated to tweak their noses a bit [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The go to Rolex place in KC since Fall has had exactly 0 stainless Submariners, 0 stainless GMTs and scant few Explorers or even stainless Daytonas.
    Stainless is the new precious metal when it comes to Rolexes.
    Brilliant marketing as usual from the gnomes in Switzerland, selling stainless steel for solid gold prices.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

I would respectfully assert that while demographics may have HISTORICALLY had something to do with the product mix there, there is a "shortage" of the watches you reference worldwide as per Hoodinkees, Worn & wound as well as other PF like watch online resources.

I was told essentially this by the Rolex sales guy at Mayors; that the price on my watch was so and so ‘if they were available.’ Apparently they are hard to come by, which puzzled me.
    Last edited by RJ; 12-28-2018 at 06:49 PM.

I bought my new stainless gmt last week from a trusted seller on watchuseek because the stainless rolexes are unavailable at authorized retailers. I almost bought a Batman gmt but didn’t want to pay $13k for a 10k watch. I ended up with an unworn black gmt at retail, but without the warrantee. It’s crazy that the stainless rolexes are unobtainium.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I totally get that too!

My second Ironman in 10 years; the first one still works just got paint on it lol:

This is what I wear shooting. Or going to WalMart.

Rich, I've never mastered how to post pictures here, so you'll just have to trust me. Some day...With all due respect and apologies to everyone here in this thread, for being a total amateur watch person. I really hate to one up you, but..I've got a Casio G-Shock MT-G watch that gets it's "daily feed" from the same satellite my atomic clocks do. I'm told the accuracy +/- is negligible. I've never had to put any batteries in it because it's solar powered. I've never had it adjusted or even opened up, never had to. It just keeps running perfectly. All I know is it checks out against any time source that's "official." It was a birthday present for my 45th birthday, which was in 1993. I've worn it every day except the days I was in the hospital for any one of my surgeries. It's been in the ocean, many swimming pools, a couple creeks, and oh yeah - every shooting session I've ever had. I've thought about getting another watch, but why should I?
    Last edited by 11B10; 12-28-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Rich, I've never mastered how to post pictures here, so you'll just have to trust me. Some day...With all due respect and apologies to everyone here in this thread, for being a total amateur watch person. I really hate to one up you, but..I've got a Casio G-Shock MT-G watch that gets it's "daily feed" from the same satellite my atomic clocks do. I'm told the accuracy +/- is negligible. I've never had to put any batteries in it because it's solar powered. I've never had it adjusted or even opened up, never had to. It just keeps running perfectly. All I know is it checks out against any time source that's "official." It was a birthday present for my 45th birthday, which was in 1993. I've worn it every day except the days I was in the hospital for any one of my surgeries. It's been in the ocean, many swimming pools, a couple creeks, and oh yeah - every shooting session I've ever had. I've thought about getting another watch, but why should I?
    That’s awesome!

I totally have almost bought a G Shock any number of times; just never found one that suited me. I do understand they are built like tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It’s pretty easy (ignore the typos — I’m functionally illiterate, mildly dyslexic, and lazy):

Attachment 33625

Attachment 33626
    Best of all, this works just fine on your phone accessing Pf via chrome or safari. It’ll post pics right off your camera roll.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

"I was in the Rolex store in Waikiki last night. EVERYTHING in there was geared toward a rich Chinese (my wife is Chinese, but far from rich). Gaudy colors and bezels galore. Not a single Diver/GMT/explorer/etc to be found. I was wearing a Tudor, and my wife, a Daytona. I think we had the nicest stuff in the store."

The other Rolex store in town was rumored to have been allotted two of the the New Stainless Pepsi's GMT IIs for 2018. It took a meeting of the owners with the sales staff to determine which long time seven figure customers were going to get the opportunity to buy the watch at retail-9250 +tax

https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blro-0001.html

My watch geek buddy was willing to put down a 10% deposit when the model was first announced fully understanding that it could be years before he could buy one. They declined to accept his deposit because as a 2 Rolex, 1 Panerari 1 Grand Seiko watch owner, he was never going to be in play. They were not going to price gouge, they simply were only going to sell that watch to customers who had, over their lifetime, spent so much more at the store.

USED/PREOWNED Pepsi GMT II Stainless at essentially +2x retail.

https://www.authenticwatches.com/rol...l#.XCadCWhKiUk

https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/pre...6710blro-0001/

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/prod...-10-rol-3dhk7n
    Then other Rolex store in town that caters to locals, not tourists has a much larger selection. Explorers, Milgauss, and sport models

Waikiki is its own planet. And it caters to the wealthy Asian market.

Don’t get me wrong. A sub or a GMT will last a day or two in the local store. But still their selections are well balanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theJanitor; 12-28-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    1:00am impulse buy.

Name:  main-1007L.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  36.9 KB

User Tag List