Page 147 of 375 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 3746

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    This is weird. I actually kind of like that watch. Never got that effect from any Rolex before.
    It's got funk on the Rubber-B.

Attachment 22132

On the bracelet it becomes "sterile" so to speak, nice and low profile.

Attachment 22133
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Heavy enough to feel substantial, light enough to feel special. The Titanium Pelagos is still pretty hard to beat for an EDC tool watch

Im actually on the hunt for Pelagos and I do like 2-liner better then a new dial. I already started to sell/trade my Sinn U1 SDR and Kemmner Octopus Ghost to fund this.
    How is the accuracy on your Pelagos?

Accuracy has fallen off a bit. it's running a few seconds fast a day. I did whack it pretty hard on a few things (doorjambs, etc) so I'm not surprised. I'm also around really strong magnets alot, so I'm happy with the performance so far. It's a 2013 model that I brought in from Canada, so it might be time for service anyway

Sinn 857 UTC. New to me. Originally purchased in 2008. Still looks new. Apparently tegiment is legit.

Saw this online and thought of this forum.

I like watches, but I'll never be able to afford a $100,000 watch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Saw this online and thought of this forum.

I like watches, but I'll never be able to afford a $100,000 watch.
    Those two watches combined are almost as much as our home. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of master craftsman level work that goes into a high end watch is mind boggling, especially when there's zero tolerance for imperfections.
    I can understand people not wanting to pay the $100k for a watch but I don't understand the people who claim there's no reason for the price difference between a Seiko and Omega/Rolex and a Patek.
    Of course your Seiko is a good watch that's accurate and will last you a lifetime, but it's not a Rolex and a Rolex isn't a Patek.
    The Seiko is a really nice example of a machine made and majority machine assembled automatic watch.
    Rolex is majority machine made, hand finished and then hand assembled, every time a skilled human hand touches it the price goes up.
    When you get to Patek levels they're hand and machine made, then hand finished and assembled to perfection by a master craftsman.

The master plumber that oversees a major commercial project makes far more money per hour than the journeyman plumber who installs the pipes or unplugs the drain lines and that journeyman makes way more per hour than the day laborer who digs up the drain line.
    Same with skilled labor in the watch industry.

A machine operator or assembly line employee at Seiko probably makes a decent wage.
    The skilled labor at Rolex probably makes twice what the Seiko employee does and spends 5x as much time per watch.
    The master craftsman at Patek probably makes 3x what the Rolex employee does and spends 100x the man hours per watch.
    That adds up exponentially (and like the video points out, most of that perfect work nobody but the watchmaker will ever see).
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-18-2017 at 02:38 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

when you put on a $100k Patek, you just FEEL different. A patek just oozes craftsmanship

I think an interesting price comparison is between Rolex and Grand Seiko
    Last edited by theJanitor; 12-18-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I think an interesting price comparison is between Rolex and Grand Seiko
    GS looks to be a great Rolex competitor for 30% less
    Take a GS SBGR099 at $4100 and it compares favorably with a Rolex Oyster Perpetual at $5700 ($5250 on the gray market). With a little haggling you can probably get the GS for $3500.
    That's a 30% difference for very similar watches.
    But later on down the road if you want to flip, the Rolex will not only retain its value far better, it'll also sell much faster. GS are a bitch to sell used.
    I really like GS.
    I think Grand Seiko makes the best dial in the mid-tier luxury range (Omega, Rolex, JLC, etc.).
    But the Rolex movement is the superior movement and you'll be cursing GS when it comes to servicing one (which is why used GS don't sell).

There's a reason Rolex is the 500# gorilla of the luxury watch world, they have a well deserved reputation for quality and of course their marketing machine takes a back seat to no other company on the planet.

User Tag List