Page 304 of 375 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 3745

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Lady's Watch Repair

A friend describes one of those teeny little lady's watches with cord band that needs work.
    She says it is a Rolex. I have never seen or heard of a Rolex like my Mom's Wittenauer.
    I will ask for a look tomorrow.

So where to get it serviced?
    Mark Siranni overhauled my Omega and advertises Rolex work, but nothing like this.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    If they make a Pelagos 39 LHD or FUB, I won't be able to resist. Only miss in my opinion is the red accent text. It looks out of place. Should've been monochromatic like the original and the LHD should get the red "Pelagos" text.

ETA: Oh and I don't think they should've shrunk to 39mm. I think most of us wanted the exact same watch but thinner.
    I’m one of the people that have been begging for a Pelagos in this smaller form. I’m waiting on my AD to get one in to check out in person. I for one like a lot of the changes, the only thing giving me pause is the sunburst bezel and dial. I want to see that in person before committing but there’s a lot to like here. Agree on the red text however it’s something I can live with. I wonder what an FUB sunburst bezel would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I wonder what an FUB sunburst bezel would look like.
    My expectations will definitely be high if they go that route. "Fuck you blue" is such an awesome color for the otherwise muted Pelagos. It's eye-catching without all the cocky glitter. You just don't see it very often.

Revamp of a 1935-39 Paul Breguette curved bezel watch

I have owned this 1935-39 Paul Breguette 17 jewel curved bezel watch since 1991*, and it recently stopped working. My brother in law is a semi-pro watch dealer & restorer, so he took a crack at it, and took pictures.
    This watch was the first foray into the US market by Ebel in Switzerland, and the Breguette movements were all made by Ebel.

Name:  Bruguette 1.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  48.3 KBName:  Bruguette 2.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  62.3 KBName:  Bruguette 3.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Bruguette 6.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  63.9 KBName:  Bruguette 5.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  54.0 KB

He did rather extensive work, including a full disassembly, sonic cleaning, jewel hole cleaning, replacing the winding crown, hair spring, and mainspring, and rebuilding the balance mechanism from a donor movement bought from evilBay.
    It got a full buffing, including the c. 1946-50 orange replacement crystal.
    (These were apparently a popular mod to refresh old watches during the post war period. You can still find NOS orange crystals from this period for sale)

It works pretty well, but like a doofus I already put a minor scratch in the shiny crystal...(shakes head at self).

Name:  breguette_wrist.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  36.2 KB

Anyone else besides myself and @vcdgrips into art deco-era watches?

*For you old San Franciscans, I bought it from Mr. Isaacs at Peacock Jewelers on Market Street.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 09-22-2022 at 11:54 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    LL-Lovely piece.

These pre war mechanicals will run forever so long as they do not get wet or dropped hard multiple times i.e. wrist to sink to floor.
    A lube/oil/adjust every 3-5 years. They often run reasonably well for much longer than that between the LOA.

Thank you very much for shoutout re my much more modest Gruen at post #2572 in this thread.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    LL-Lovely piece.

These pre war mechanicals will run forever so long as they do not get wet or dropped hard multiple times i.e. wrist to sink to floor.
    A lube/oil/adjust every 3-5 years. They often run reasonably well for much longer than that between the LOA.

Thank you very much for shoutout re my much more modest Gruen at post #2572 in this thread.
    That Gruen is iconic. It's Chrysler-Building-level cool.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Tried this one on today at the AD, now the wait begins

Name:  D7342179-2A42-41C8-A934-D763BA77CE9E.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  39.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    Tried this one on today at the AD, now the wait begins

Name:  D7342179-2A42-41C8-A934-D763BA77CE9E.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  39.1 KB
    Is that the new 39?

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Is that the new 39?
    It is and unfortunately waitlisted. Let me put it this way, I am no longer on the list for a no date Sub. I’m sure some will criticize that decision but this is “the” watch for me.

That thing looks the business. the Sub is overplayed in my area. I see it EVERYWHERE. Heck the pizza delivery guy had one the other week. I think that these days, lots of the Subs I see are generational gifts. Dads and Granddads passing down their watches (and that's awesome), but it makes the Sub overplayed. I've not seen another pelagos on someone else's wrist yet. Congrats, NPV. I think it's a fine choice

User Tag List