Page 177 of 375 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227277 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 3742

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

If it’s good enough for NASA, it’s good enough for me.

Name:  39E23BD5-1B42-4240-A790-7C5D984D42C3.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  45.6 KB
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Quartz watches are cool when you’re seven. Mechanical watches are cool always. If I want to spend thousands on cool shit, I will because I can. Pretty solid rationale IMO.
    So rolling around with a multi-thousand-dollar watch that keeps worse time (and has less features) than a $12 F-91W is rational?

Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    So rolling around with a multi-thousand-dollar watch that keeps worse time (and has less features) than a $12 F-91W is rational?
    I don’t always roll. Also, being a grown man with the same watch as small children is a little sad.

ETA: I always forget smileys.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 04-21-2019 at 10:28 PM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    I just dig mechanical stuff. A tiny timepiece that is entirely mechanical and either needs to be wound or winds itself based on the movement of my arm is just cool. I don't care if it's a Seiko or Rolex. My GShock is a better timepiece than any mechanical watch. So is my phone. Neither sparks joy like a mechanical watch.

Chris

I dig the mechanicals and have been messing around with them for a few years now. Haven't bought anything real high end, on my 2nd seiko. I picked up a quartz tuna and am debating hunting down an old(er) quartz Seamaster.

I am sick of fiddling around with the watches, I don't always wear them more than 8-10 hours a day and it doesn't seem to be enough to keep them accurate. Not interested in buying winders and would like to be able to set a watch down for a weekend and not have to set it.

I am not sure if this issue would be cured by buying a higher dollar COSC automatic or not...

I love the idea of a mechanical and the engineering behind it but I hate having to wear it all the time for it to keep time. Maybe im just poor and buy cheap shit that doesn't work but planning to get a quartz for the next watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I dig the mechanicals and have been messing around with them for a few years now. Haven't bought anything real high end, on my 2nd seiko. I picked up a quartz tuna and am debating hunting down an old(er) quartz Seamaster.

I am sick of fiddling around with the watches, I don't always wear them more than 8-10 hours a day and it doesn't seem to be enough to keep them accurate. Not interested in buying winders and would like to be able to set a watch down for a weekend and not have to set it.

I am not sure if this issue would be cured by buying a higher dollar COSC automatic or not...
    Over the last 2 years I’ve worn a Rolex Explorer almost exclusively with no issues. I routinely only wear it while at work, comes off when I get home. On some weekends it’s not worn from Friday after work till Monday with no issues. If I’m not wearing it on Saturday and or Sunday I’ll shake it a few times when I get my other EDC items from my dresser. I’ve thought about a winder just haven’t needed one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I love the idea of a mechanical and the engineering behind it but I hate having to wear it all the time for it to keep time. Maybe im just poor and buy cheap shit that doesn't work but planning to get a quartz for the next watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    I decent Seiko (or Seiko-powered) automatic should go 40hrs on a full wind. Back when my one and only watch was a Seiko Orange Monster diver with the 7s26 movement (40hr reserve capacity), it would routinely go for a day to two days off-wrist. Once I regulated it, it kept consistent and accurate time and only needed to be adjusted once every month and a half to two months (depending on your tolerance for deviation). That watch, and its movement, are not high-end by any means.

Now that I have multiple automatics, I have a winder. It's an inexpensive 2-watch winder I bought off Amazon for about $60. It does the job well and is quiet (it lives on my nightstand next to the bed).

Another option is to pick automatics that also support hand winding and hacking. Hand-winding means you can forgo wearing it and just give the stem a few turns each day without wearing it. Hacking means when you pull the stem out to set the time, the second hand stops moving, making accurate time setting easier. With those two features, keeping an automatic set will be easier. In Seiko's lower-end range, you'd want a 4r35 or 4r36 movement. In other watches that use Seiko movements, those will be listed as NH35/NH36 (same thing, just branded differently for 3rd party watch assemblers). Seiko is moving a number of their 7s26-powered watches to the 4r movements, but old classics like the SKX series and many of the Seiko 5 watches still use the 7s26 movement. I'm converting my modded Seiko SNK805 to a 4r35 movement just to get those two features. I'll do the same to my SKX009 eventually, but am loathe to muck about with its internals due to the risk of affecting the dive-certified water resistance (no such risk on the SNK805).

Chris

Site Supporter
    What he said. I'm usually wearing a quartz just because I really like a few of my quart watches, but both of my Seikos with 7s26 movements are good for a 44-48 hour power reserve. It's hard to beat a low end Seiko's bang for the buck if you want an inexpensive auto.

Mine is a turtle with the 4R36 which should have a 40+ hour reserve. I should have someone regulate it for kicks and see if that is the issue. I may also be too picky. 2-3 minutes off and I am annoyed.

User Tag List