Page 174 of 366 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 3660

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

Thanks. Well it was a waste of a Saturday morning. They aborted the scan cause they don’t know about the buckles holding both of my retinas intact. Guess it doesn’t matter that my eye surgery was performed in this same hospital.

And I guess I shouldn’t have prepaid my portion of the scan cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Thanks. Well it was a waste of a Saturday morning. They aborted the scan cause they don’t know about the buckles holding both of my retinas intact. Guess it doesn’t matter that my eye surgery was performed in this same hospital.

And I guess I shouldn’t have prepaid my portion of the scan cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never prepay for a "service". Poop occurs. BTDT.

Healthy vibes sent your way.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Picked this up today. I've been wanting this piece for awhile and finally decided to get it.
    Name:  20190406_161657.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  37.5 KB

I have somehow overlooked MIDO in my watch obsession. They don't seem to be popular in the US, but they make great watches at a decent price point. The Oceanstar M026.430.11.051.00 in particular caught my as as potential "one watch" solution. Not that I would want to go down to one watch, but I like to simplify things when I travel, which is a lot, and I haven't found the "one watch" I can take that will be appropriate from the beach to boardroom meetings.

The specs are solid and they make this version with a really cool blue textured dial and gray titanium with orange accents if you find black too boring:

• Material: Stainless steel
    • Diameter: 42.50 mm
    • Between lugs: 22.00 mm
    • Water-resistance: 20 bar (200 m / 660 ft)
    • Crystal: Sapphire crystal with double sided anti-reflection treatment
    • Case height: 11.75 mm
    • Automatic Mido Caliber 80 (base ETA C07.621) with 80-hour power reserve
    • Hour Markers: Applied indexes

MSRP is a little over $900, and gray market is under $600 for the steel versions.

I came across the watch a wile back, but I think the style of the hands kept me from trying it out. They look odd enough in pictures to be off-putting, but I find they are just different enough in person to be interesting. The applied indices and hands play with the light and give the watch a dressier feel in person that doesn't quite come across in pictures. It's dressy enough that it doesn't look too out of place with a suit and it's thin enough to get under a dress cuff (if you are someone who can stomach wearing a dive watch with a suit). The aluminum bezel tones down the bling so that it also looks fine in jeans and a t-shirt.

The two features that pushed me over the edge to order the watch were the day/date complication (I really like having the day at a glance when travelling) and the adjustable clasp. We have constantly fluctuating temperatures with high humidity in south Mississippi. My wrist swells and shrinks throughout the day and having an easily adjustable clasp is a very nice feature. MIDO executed this one well (check out the pictures below).

I have only three nits to pick with this watch:

1. I'd like to see it in a smaller size. 38-40mm would be great for my girly 7" wrists, but it works well enough at 42mm.
    2. It has anti-reflective coating on the inside and outside of the crystal. I will inevitably put scuffs in the outer AR, but I've knocked against a couple door jams and don't have any scuffs yet. I would prefer AR coating in the inside of the crystal only.
    3. The bezel index is rectangle instead of the traditional triangle. It doesn't stand out as well at a glance when you are using the bezel to time something. I've gotten used to looking for the rectangle, but it still isn't a legible as I would like.

Adjustable clasp all the way in:

Clasp partially extended (you press the two smaller triggers on the right and the clasp extends about 1mm at a time, up to about 10mm):

Trying to ctach the way to light plays with the hands and indices (and not doing it very well):

It isn't anything mind blowing, but it is a decent all around watch that somehow didn't make it on to my radar for quite some time. That's a shame. It's a really decent watch at a decent price. It's been running about -4 seconds per day and it will sit in the watch box all weekend and still be running on Monday. I haven't let it sit for a full 80 hours to see if that's a real number, but the power reserve is certainly better than the typical ETA/Sellita movements.

Specs for that watch are great for the money. I wonder if the jomashop link is last years or something. New one on the website gains the COSC cert and doesn't have the skeletal hands. Seems to be more like $1500 and less colors offered.
    Last edited by bofe954; 04-08-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    That Mido is a feature packed watch in the sub 1000 space for sure. 80 hr power reserve is what really knocks it over the top relative to most swiss powered divers and their 40ish hr power reserve in the same sub 1k realm.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 04-08-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    gray titanium with orange accents
    Yet another watch that will interrupt me saving for an Oris Aquis Date. I could do without the day cluttering up the dial but I still really, really like it.

Just picked up an Alpina Alpiner in blue, hopefully it'll be here this week. It's my first watch in almost three years. I'm currently wearing a TAG Heuer Carerra, wanted a less expensive beater watch and also something with a band instead of a bracelet.

I'm thinking about a Mido or an Oris this summer, though. The Oceanstar got a hard look from me this go around, but I really like the look of the Big Crown and Pro Pilots from Oris as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Yet another watch that will interrupt me saving for an Oris Aquis Date. I could do without the day cluttering up the dial but I still really, really like it.
    The Aquis is pretty nice, I've had a few of them. Really solid watches.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    The Aquis is pretty nice, I've had a few of them. Really solid watches.
    I'd be buying one right about now had a Luminox ICE-SAR and a G45 not got in the way.

User Tag List