Page 126 of 375 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 3743

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

I know quite a few people with Explorers and GMT's, they're nice, no doubt, but I get the vibe that many owners buy them because they're a Rolex, not because they're a nice watch that meets their needs.

The Seamaster, to me, seems to be a touch more unique despite the lower cost than a Rolex. The Speedmaster is sorta unique in some senses but it screams watch guys watch, not status symbol or what have you.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I think the GMT is the Rolex to have. The wife currently runs a daytona, and is quite pleased.

I think the PAM111 is a superb hand wound watch, if you can handle the size. I love mine and it was an edc watch for me for about five years, until I picked up the Pelagos. There's NOTHING that makes you more involved in owning a timepiece than a hand wound / display back. I love making that winding procedure part of my morning routine. In this current world where people take their timepiece (if they even have one) for granted, the handwound watch really helps you appreciate the machine on your wrist. Also, the Panerai is a perfect "anti-Rolex" piece.

this thread needs more pics

I think when approaching this you need to ask yourself why you want the watch and what role does it fulfill in your life. As far as design or what a watch looks like, only you can decide what you like. Additionally, if you want to base your decision on which watch to buy based only on that, then the world is your oyster. Almost every single Omega in the catalog is set to appeal to that very idea (and almost every single watch company out there too).

If you want a watch guy's watch there are not that many options for you in that price range. As I said (as have many others), the original Omega Speedmaster Pro is it. I would argue that in terms of horology the next step up would be a used Rolex or JLC. I understand the stigma with Rolex and unfortunately it is what it is. That being said, in the world of chickens and eggs and wondering which of them came first, Rolex was a great watch before it was the defacto status symbol it is today. Although few can articulate why Rolex is a great watch, it quite simply is just that, not to mention the only manufacturer that literally makes every single one of its components that goes into it (Seiko might as well actually). It even has its own foundry and its own steel. When you look at their movement components (parachrome blue hairspring, paraflex shock absorbers, etc) and beautiful bracelets with milled clasps and all solid links (no more cheap rattle of yesteryear) the beauty of a Rolex begins to become more apparent. That being said if that still doesn't persuade you and if you don't like the designs which have remained basically the same since the 50s and 60s (with incremental refinements) then Omega is the exact antithesis of that with new designs and variations every year.

From a financial perspective, if you are going to pay retail (or close to retail) Rolex is the only way to go. The company maintains tight control over price and distribution and values of used Rolexes are high for that very reason. Omega, like most watch companies, lose 30% to 40% the second you step out of the showroom floor. If Omega (or the like) is your choice, retail pricing is a poor way to acquire one.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 02-06-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Serious watch envy I really want a sinn even though I don't wear my current watch, don't like the heavy link bracelets.

I'm a fan of the older Omega Seamasters, particularly those with the distinctive (and unfortunately discontinued) wave dial. While the newer Seasmasters (and their Planet Ocean cousins) have stuffed more technology into the design, in exchange they gave up some of the character of the older watches. The Planet Oceans in particular are cutting edge, but I find them bulky and impossible to wear with a dress shirt (the new Deep Black series is terrific but simply too big for me). While I've since sold the PPQ, I'm fortunate to own this 2220.80, which was among the last of the wave dial watches.

However, I'll agree that the Speedmaster enjoys the richest history and lineage among Omega watches. As a bit of a space buff (even spent a semester working at NASA), I was focused on the Moonwatch, but I found the 'First Omega In Space' Speedmaster that commemorated Wally Schira's 'Sigma Seven' spaceflight a touch more interesting. These are wonderful watches, and I agree with theJanitor that manual movements makes for a deeper connection with your timepiece. I really need to take a better picture of this particular Speedmaster...the face has some small differences from the classic Moonwatch.

I first saw a Sinn watch on Todd Green's wrist, and we discussed watches at length. It wasn't long before I found an excuse to own the classic U1. While Sinn's designs lack the heritage of other manufacturers, their emphasis on technology makes them a unique watchmaker. Having spent some time living in Germany, and also having an affection for German automobiles, the U1 was an easy choice.

I would like to eventually add a GMT to the collection, and Rolex is surely the classic GMT watch. I am drawn to the timeless nature of the Rolex designs, but though I've occasionally window shopped the BLNR, I haven't been able to justify the expense. Yet. Unfortunately, my wife (who is the real Omega fan in the family) finds Rolex stodgy and dated. I am intrigued by Panerai, and I like the designs with the sandwich dial, but deep down I think I'd just want one to pair with my Berettas...

Watches are fun.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 02-06-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My mother gave my father a Rolex datejust 41 as a wedding present back in the 70s and even though I've seen it almost daily since birth, it's still my favorite watch in the whole world. But maybe it's the guy wearing it that makes it special for me.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

A family member is looking for a Sinn U1 SE black.

Out of stock here: https://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/N...k-You-d129.htm

Are there other reliable retailers that my google-fu isn't finding?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Watchbuys is the exclusive US dealer for Sinn.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that Watchbuys is the exclusive US dealer for Sinn.
    Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Thanks. I was afraid of that.
    Check on watchrecon.

User Tag List