Page 125 of 373 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 3729

Thread: Obligatory Wristwatch Thread

There are few absolutes in the world of watches... However, the original manual wound Speedmaster Professional with solid caseback and hesalite crystal is one of them.

People buy Speedmasters because it is a great watch and has incredible history and providence. Buying a newer rendition (especially an automatic version) is antithetical to the whole idea of the Speedmaster Professional. The sole virtue of those newer renditions is that of reminding you of the original. There is no better watch at or below that price point anywhere.

Accept no substitute. The original is the real McCoy.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 02-05-2017 at 11:15 PM.

If I went automatic, it would not be a Seamaster. I see nothing special about Omega automatics (including their coaxials), despite my love for Mr. Bond. I would save my pennies and get a Rolex (even if it was lightly used).

Last edited by Cool Breeze; 02-05-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Link?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    http://www.damasko-watches.com/us/mo...ing-bezel/da42

I want a Damasko. Must be a pretty good deal now, too, with the exchange rate being what it is.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Speedmasters... What do I want, what don't I want?

The Speedmaster Pro seems to be the standard. I'd perhaps prefer the harder crystal but the hesalite... I dunno, the nostalgia is there. I'm still slightly attached to the Seamaster but the Speedy seems to be a better first high end watch and the Seamaster, not that it's faddy, seems a little faddy to me.
    I have a Planet Ocean and Aqua Terra, a Speedy Pro and SMPc will be in my watch box at some point with them. Although there are a couple of Tudor's I would like to add first.

Hexalite moon watch. It's the one to get, and will be my next watch purchase. I was deciding between the Tudor Pelagos, and the speedy pro last year. I took the Tudor because I wanted a solid piece to fly under the radar with. It's been exceptional in that role. Now it's time for my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    The new bichrono speedy is awesome if you want 44mm+ watches.

If you can accept wearing a 42mm watch then the moonwatch is the only one I'd recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    There are few absolutes in the world of watches... However, the original manual wound Speedmaster Professional with solid caseback and hesalite crystal is one of them.

People buy Speedmasters because it is a great watch and has incredible history and providence. Buying a newer rendition (especially an automatic version) is antithetical to the whole idea of the Speedmaster Professional. The sole virtue of those newer renditions is that of reminding you of the original. There is no better watch at or below that price point anywhere.

Accept no substitute. The original is the real McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    If I went automatic, it would not be a Seamaster. I see nothing special about Omega automatics (including their coaxials), despite my love for Mr. Bond. I would save my pennies and get a Rolex (even if it was lightly used).

I'm currently that way with Rolex. I feel like I'd rather grab a Sinn and Seamaster before a Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Hexalite moon watch. It's the one to get, and will be my next watch purchase. I was deciding between the Tudor Pelagos, and the speedy pro last year. I took the Tudor because I wanted a solid piece to fly under the radar with. It's been exceptional in that role. Now it's time for my favorite.
    Looking at either 311.30.42.30.01.006 or 311.30.42.30.01.005 with the differences being a clear case back, crystal, slight bezel difference, and Omega Calibre 1861/1863. Both are hand wound moon watches.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I had a hexalite moonwatch years ago.

Really enjoyed it until it became too small for me. Just a tiny watch compared to everything else I had. So I sold it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'm currently that way with Rolex. I feel like I'd rather grab a Sinn and Seamaster before a Rolex.
    Same, while I like and would like to have a polar Explorer II i'll be putting the money towards a Pelagos/Black Bay AND a SMPc/Speedy.

Btw...You could probably pick up a used panerai 111 for the same price as a new moonwatch.

If you've never owned one I'd suggest trying one on. Awesome.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Site Supporter
    Rolex v. Omega
    1. I get that people want what they want when they want it. If you have the means, then you do you.
    2. To me, based on my sample of 1, Omega represented a much better watch and value for the money.

I turned 45 and decided I wanted a real watch. A used Sub or GMT was an easy 3k. A new Sub or GMT was a non starter. A New Omega GMT Seamaster was under 2.8k delivered. Catching it on a sale as Bailey, Banks and Biddle closed was a bonus.
    At the time you got AR coating, a much more solid bracelet and a GMT function v. none of those with a used Sub.

I see Subs in the wild on a weekly basis. I have never seen an Omega GMT Seamaster in the wild. I see Speedys and regular Seamasters maybe 3x a year. I fully acknowledge I live in flyover country and fine watch sales may not be at a fever pitch here v. other parts of the country.

With a sharp pencil, you could build a whole stable of moon watches- a Speedy, Fortis and Bulova for about the same as a newish Sub. Food for thought. YMMV greatly.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 02-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.

User Tag List